SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I need some ideas.
1989 900s 5 spd.

Went to replace the Right side drive axle only to find it's too short. Not like 3" too short like Rockauto shipped me a left side axle. Too short by about an inch. The axle measures 24.25" which according to sources online is correct for my vehicle.
On the new axle with suspension compressed to normal ride height, the tripod is only halfway into the driver
The tripod bearing on the new shaft is mounted inbound towards the outer cv about a 1/4" as opposed to my old unit has the tripod right on the end. The old unit was making a racket on full lock turns and actually sounding like it was popping out. It was. My inner driver is completely fubar now. Not only does it have heavy scalping but the outside has been battered and bludgeoned by the tripod. I have a good used Inner driver on it's way.

This car is a rescue I just picked up last month. I have searched and searched and can't seem to find the reason what the problem is.

What I know from my searches.
Inner Driver correct for the year of car
Tripod bearings on new and old shaft are correct OD

Here is a photo of the old shaft. Suspension compressed to normal ride height, outer cv is seated to the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
In addition to the inner driver change around '85, there was also a driveshaft length change around '88. Since it's just the length that changed, it's definitely possible a remanufacturer got inventories confused. I think Bentley indicates when that changeover was, but I'm pretty much 100% confident an '89 is the longer driveshaft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In addition to the inner driver change around '85, there was also a driveshaft length change around '88. Since it's just the length that changed, it's definitely possible a remanufacturer got inventories confused. I think Bentley indicates when that changeover was, but I'm pretty much 100% confident an '89 is the longer driveshaft.
Thank you for your reply! I'm guessing the shaft that is in there is also a replacement. When I pulled it I found that the PO or whoever didn't even bother cleaning the driver out. Found circle retainer debris and probably 30 needles in the old grease.
I'm seeing right side older shafts at 24 11/32" length Late 86-89-90 non-abs at 24 1/4" length and 91+ 24 1/2" including the abs ring.

Shouldn't the tripod be riding right in the middle of the driver? My spanked driver has 2 definite scalps in it. One in the middle that is really deep and one near the outside that is bad enough to warrant replacement.

I'm thinking something quite wrong. The old shaft is 3/4" shorter than it should be and the new one barely centers the tripod on the outside rim.

Could the inner driver somehow be pushed in? Could I possibly have an older spindle with a newer hub for the vented rotor? I doubt this as the car only has 130k and I just replaced the wheel bearing and ball joints. I verified the ball joints were the same length first thing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hello all. I need some ideas.
1989 900s 5 spd.

Went to replace the Right side drive axle only to find it's too short. Not like 3" too short like Rockauto shipped me a left side axle. Too short by about an inch. The axle measures 24.25" which according to sources online is correct for my vehicle.
On the new axle with suspension compressed to normal ride height, the tripod is only halfway into the driver
The tripod bearing on the new shaft is mounted inbound towards the outer cv about a 1/4" as opposed to my old unit has the tripod right on the end. The old unit was making a racket on full lock turns and actually sounding like it was popping out. It was. My inner driver is completely fubar now. Not only does it have heavy scalping but the outside has been battered and bludgeoned by the tripod. I have a good used Inner driver on it's way. View attachment 270892

This car is a rescue I just picked up last month. I have searched and searched and can't seem to find the reason what the problem is.

What I know from my searches.
Inner Driver correct for the year of car
Tripod bearings on new and old shaft are correct OD

Here is a photo of the old shaft. Suspension compressed to normal ride height, outer cv is seated to the wheel bearing.
I happen to have cv/axles from an '89 vert automatic. I just measured the longer one and its precisely 24.50"
They come from a parts car that fell into my lap last year. It had only 59k miles on it if you can believe it.
Let me know if i can help you in anyway.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
On the new axles - are they actually remanufactured or are they new? There is/was a rash of cheap Chinese "new" axles which had a number of faults attributed to them. General consensus is that you're better off rebuilding old OEM parts as long as possible. I could definitely see one of these "new" axles being a little off spec.

In terms of tripod placement in the cup, it will move around a bit depending on suspension extension. More droop will move the axle out, more level will move it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I happen to have cv/axles from an '89 vert automatic. I just measured the longer one and its precisely 24.50"
They come from a parts car that fell into my lap last year. It had only 59k miles on it if you can believe it.
Let me know if i can help you in anyway.
Thanks,
John
Thank you for checking them John! Do they have the ABS ring on them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the new axles - are they actually remanufactured or are they new? There is/was a rash of cheap Chinese "new" axles which had a number of faults attributed to them. General consensus is that you're better off rebuilding old OEM parts as long as possible. I could definitely see one of these "new" axles being a little off spec.

In terms of tripod placement in the cup, it will move around a bit depending on suspension extension. More droop will move the axle out, more level will move it in.
Well, they are definitely Chinese. Surtrack/Trakmotive from Rockauto. I'm sending it back. The outer CV feels like it's dry. I guess it's time to buy a used shaft off ebay and rebuild it.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
For general information:
The ABS rings can be easily swapped from joint to joint. Heat the ring with a torch, it will fall off one joint and onto another.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For general information:
The ABS rings can be easily swapped from joint to joint. Heat the ring with a torch, it will fall off one joint and onto another.
Thanks Jim. I read that in another thread. I asked because it seems all the non abs axles spec 24.25" and the 90+ axles spec 24.5". I'm having a heck of a time finding a used complete axle assembly. I think I'm just gonna end up going to see my local Autozone guy for ease of return if need be.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Autozone's Duralast Gold is Surtrak, for whatever that's worth. I would try and find some Cardone remans, if that's even a thing anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts