SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, new here...

got a quick question....

My clutch pedal was stuck to the floor with very little movement, but i could still shift properly and everything. Thought it was the master, so i replaced the whole master cylinder, bled it like i was supposed to, and it worked GREAT! for about 2 weeks, now yesterday it went back to the floor. now, i know you will all say its the slave cylinder, BUT I asked a tech thats at my work who used to work on these bad boys and he said the slave has to do with your clutch, not the pedal beind dead to the floor, he said i shoulkd try and make my ABS light come on (how do I do that?) and then bleed it right away, twice. I have no visible leaks and the resivour stays full all the time, I just cant get my pedal to come back up. So I guess its more like I need your input more than its a question...

I appreciate it guys, ANYTHING will help!

Rich

·
Registered
292 Posts
92Slaab said:
hey guys, new here...

got a quick question....

My clutch pedal was stuck to the floor with very little movement, but i could still shift properly and everything. Thought it was the master, so i replaced the whole master cylinder, bled it like i was supposed to, and it worked GREAT! for about 2 weeks, now yesterday it went back to the floor. now, i know you will all say its the slave cylinder, BUT I asked a tech thats at my work who used to work on these bad boys and he said the slave has to do with your clutch, not the pedal beind dead to the floor, he said i shoulkd try and make my ABS light come on (how do I do that?) and then bleed it right away, twice. I have no visible leaks and the resivour stays full all the time, I just cant get my pedal to come back up. So I guess its more like I need your input more than its a question...

I appreciate it guys, ANYTHING will help!

Rich
Bad slave usually leaves a big puddle of fluid under the tranny. If its not the slave, then I would try to bleed again. Its tough to bleed the hydraulics. I've only been able to bleed it reliably through reverse bleeding, injecting fluid into the bleeder nipple at the bell housing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man!

were gonna try it right now...lets hope this works....

BTW its a 1992 9000 Turbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, we tried to bleed it every which way... i have pressure and its working, but there is still a lot of play in the cluth pedal (not all the way up) hmm... maybe i just got a bad master?? i just replaced it but i coulda got a bad new part....

ideas....
thoughts....
things to try....

thanks guys
Rich

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
abusot said:
Bad slave usually leaves a big puddle of fluid under the tranny. If its not the slave, then I would try to bleed again. Its tough to bleed the hydraulics. I've only been able to bleed it reliably through reverse bleeding, injecting fluid into the bleeder nipple at the bell housing.
I hear this a lot, but when my slave went there were no puddles

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You have to pressure bleed with about 25psi in the pressure supply vessel.

You can vacuum bleed with a big syringe and some vacuum hose. This picture shows how I did it. it could use another non return valve on the hose connecting to the bleed nipple but I managed it without and have done another car since using this method. You need to pull and push the syringe quite fast. This was a side of the road heath robinson bit of kit, using stuff fitted to the car.

The nrv direction is towards the jar as should the extra nrv on the section of hose on the bleed nipple before the 'y' bend...not shown in picture as I thought of it afterwards. However, the above does work, even though in theory it shouldn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so its temp. fixed...except now i have to pump up the pedal with my foot while driving after 5-8 shifts...wierd, but at least i can drive it...

any ideas on this part of it now!? lol

thanks guys
Rich

·
Registered
46 Posts
Every single time

Every single time I replaced the master or slave (and it was many many times), I ended up replacing the other one soon afterwards. Is it possible that your master was good to begin with, and your slave was actually bad, but the bleeding process that you went through after replacing it temporarily fixed the problem?

If I had this problem (again - the car that used to have it is dead) I would replace master, slave and hydraulic lines just to start with a new system. IF there is no major leakage, and the new master cylinder is good, then there has to be a small leak somewhere, either in the lines or some problem with the slave.

Don't worry about the 5-8 shifts per clutch pumping- the situation will deterioriate rapidly!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts