SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully this question isn't asinine, but you guys are a wealth of info and very polite to boot.

My previous car was a more sporty car (if you can call a Hyundai Tiburon sporty) and I really enjoyed the stiffer ride.
My 2004 9-5 ARC, on the other hand, feels very "spongy." I'm wondering if that is due to the lack of a sports suspension (as in the Aero) or if it has the same suspension as the Aero but just tuned differently (and if so can it be tuned like the Aero) or if that has absolutely nothing to do with it....? Can adjustments be made to the steering column? Obviously I know very little about this kind of stuff so I may be way off the mark here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The aero has different suspension which is firmer and slightly lower.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
There is a LOOOT of room for improvement in the suspension.

I personally went with a set of used Aero springs (get them from the forum classifieds or eBay for CHEAP), and some Bilstein HD shocks. The shocks in the Aero suspension kit are pretty soft, so the Bilsteins make that setup SHINE.

Once I did that mod, it's pretty much the best balance between comfort and performance I have felt in any car.

If you are used to a Tiburon, I also drive around in a 2004 with the V6 and 6 speed... that car has even stiffer suspension, so if you want to go that hard, a set of sport springs (H&R from genuinesaab, or Eibach, or anything else) along with some Bilstein Sports or even Koni yellows would be more aggressive.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
natijoe said:
That's great info.

Out of curiosity, who much did that endeavor cost you?
I swapped my Aero suspension out for Koni dampers and H&R springs. I love the handling, but personally I still think it's not flat enough when navigating corners at a high speed. The limitations of front-wheel drive begin to become very apparent here unfortunately.

How much did it cost you ask? Check these links:

Koni dampers

H&R springs

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
natijoe said:
That's great info.

Out of curiosity, who much did that endeavor cost you?
The Bilsteins were about $550 from shox.com

Got the Aero springs for the cost of shipping ~$60

I also added the Aero anti-roll bars from the 02+ models as well. I think genuinesaab sells that kit for $175 or so.

Or you can buy the full Aero suspension... springs shocks and anti roll bars for about $550 via genuinesaab or other sites. That is also a fantastic deal if you can deal with the softer Aero shocks... then when they fail in 100tkm, you can add Bilsteins ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
While Aero parts are very original, it is sometimes better just to go with after market parts. You will spend a lot of time trying to find Aero suspension parts and I think you should just go strait to the aftermarket and pick up some good springs and shocks. Lots of people with Aero's do that anyway...Either way, it is up to you...but I would go with aftermarket suspension parts and take your seats to a good upholstery/custom shop and they should be able to do as good a job in not better on creating some Aero-like seats. Good luck!

·
Registered
174 Posts
stipud said:
I also added the Aero anti-roll bars from the 02+ models as well. I think genuinesaab sells that kit for $175 or so.
did you do the front ARB yourself or did you have someone do it for you? If you did it yourself, how hard is it?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
stipud said:
I did it myself, and it is a pretty big pain in the ***. I had to lower the rear end of the subframe just to get enough wiggle room.
Mine took a good full day of work... going slowly and patiently and taking lots of time to soak & remove semi rusty bolts. Worth the effort though.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
stipud said:
...... if you can deal with the softer Aero shocks... then when they fail in 100tkm, you can add Bilsteins ;)

I was able to put up the rears for a year and about 18k km, then tossed them for a pair of year-old KYBs that were still MUCH stiffer than the Aero units. Next time around I'd just go Bilstein or Koni right off and save a lot of farting around.

G

·
Wheels and tires also can make a big difference. If you have 16" wheels with touring tires, going to 17 or 18" with performance tires will be a very noticeable change.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, i have the 17 inch tires. Definitely better than my old 16s but I still need it a bit stiffer...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Definitely get the Aero ARB's no matter what springs and shocks you get.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
natijoe said:
So are the ARBs a necessity if changing the suspension? Or just a wise upgrade?
Just a wise upgrade, they take away a good amount of the body roll, but don't harshen the ride very much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is my from Arc to Aero solution. Aero bodykit & H&R & Bilstein combo. The car is 2003 2.3t Arc. Ride is firm but also comfortable (with 225/45 tires).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts