SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the coolant temp sensor and T-Stat on my '99 2.3 9-5. A decent amount of coolant spilled in the process. Now that I've got the gauges working right again it seems as if my alternator is shot. My question is could the spilled coolant be related to a dead alternator? It was kinda tight in there when I replaced the sensor so I could have knocked something loose. Is there anything in that area related to the alternator?

Here's the scene: the warning light and ABS light come on while I'm sitting at a light, it goes out as soon as I accelerate. It comes on and off as I start and stop for a few blocks. I let it idle for a while in park and no lights. Turn it off and try to restart it and the battery is dead. I jump the battery, let it idle for a while and read the voltage at the battery terminals -12.8v and dropping. the battery is about a year old and I had it tested a few months ago when something similar happened.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Sounds more like your ABS module or battery; not the alternator check the battery acid levels in the battery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saaber95er,
I'll pull the battery and have it checked but is it possible that a failed ABS module can cause the battery to drain?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Make sure you tightened the screw on the grounding cable on the thermostat housing well. I had neglected to tighten it all the way and it started causing electrical problems, including eventually not being able to start the engine.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Two different issues, the ABS they just go, the battery if it's not old; they do lose some acid because these engines run hot and the acid boils and drains out (that's why these cars have battery covers) and always attach the drain tube on the battery; I don't use the one that come with the battery I made my own and ran it so the acid drains on the ground not on my battery tray or other body parts.
If any of the cells are low top off with distilled water, the ABS light may comes on again, if after braking hard; if the light comes on and stays on you won't have ABS brakes and the brakes can lock while braking hard.

Saaber95er,
I'll pull the battery and have it checked but is it possible that a failed ABS module can cause the battery to drain?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure you tightened the screw on the grounding cable on the thermostat housing well. I had neglected to tighten it all the way and it started causing electrical problems, including eventually not being able to start the engine.
I thought about that last night. I remember hand tightening the ground bolt but I don't remember taking a wrench to it. I'll check that tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts