SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several awesome posts from everyone on this site but I am still inclined to repeat what I have read and try to explain my situations.

1999 Saab 9-3 2.0 L Turbo Manual Transmission No Mods.

Ran fine went out in the morning and now all it does is turn over and turn over but does not start.

Replaced the fuel pump 2 years ago Scan Tech I believe and new fuel filter.

Scanned no codes.
Switched relays with no success.
Pulled plugs they smelled like gas and looked somewhat wet.
Hammered on gas tank.
Checked fuse 32 and its fine.

Question: Should the fuel pump turn on to prime the system when the key is turned on? I did not hear it when this was done. BUT I hear the pump after the car turns over and when I stop turning the car over I hear the pump briefly.

I am not ruling out that the Scan Tech pump I put in has failed because I believe it to be possible.

Is there any sensors like the cam position sensor or anything that could cause ignition problems.

I haven't checked for spark which I am going to do in the morning.

Any help would be great this site is where I go to keep my car rollin' on and the support and information you get with this site is unbeatable.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
997 Posts
Direct ignition cassette (big red thing on engine) can cause problems. Also, the crank position sensor is known to cause no start. Both related to spark.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
It has been posted before that if the CPS failes, the tach will read 0 rpms when the engine is cranked. It has also been said that a CPS will most likely fail to start when the engine is hot. So you can pull the connector and read the Ohms on the CPS, like in this thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1695332&highlight=test+ohms#post1695332

The the next step would be to pull the DIC, remove the plugs, insert them in the DIC, ground them to the block with some wire, and crank the engine over. If you see all plugs firing, the DIC is good... Ron

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If you lift the rear seat, you can probably hear easier if the pump is running. If it primes when you turn it on and you hear it after you stop cranking, then the pump is fine. If the plugs are wet, then the CPS is probably good and the pump is probably running while the engine is cranking. The only real test for the CPS is if the pump runs continuously while cranking. You may be able to hear this easier if you lift the rear seat.

If the pump and CPS are good, then it probably is the DIC.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the information to all. The one thing that I don't think I made clear was that when the key is turned to the on position there is no sound from the pump. When the car is turned over and the key is released to stop turning the car over that is when I can hear the pump for a quick second.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Try spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body. If the engine starts for a few seconds, the pump is not running or building enough pressure... Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Connection for fuel pressure guage

Where in the world is the schrader valve for hooking up a fuel pressure guage. I can't find it for the life of me unless its right in front of my face. I have the guage and connections but I can't find it on the fuel rail. Is it under something? Do I have to remove more than just the plastic cover. It should be right on the rail correct?

Please any help would be appreciated I need to remove some of the potential problems to get closer to the answer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have your mech check both the DIC (Direct Ignition Cassette) and the DSS (not sure what that stands for). Mine had the same problem, started fine cold, but when warm / hot - not so much, and seemed to be pretty random.

Mine was the DSS - there is a solenoid that would stick when the engine heated up. Car would crank (turn over) but no start, and it only happened when the engine was warm/hot.

Figure on @ $250 US to fix.

Good luck.
Smitty

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DI Cassette

So I loosened the fuel filter connection and experienced a nice mist of gas. Seemed to be plenty of pressure at that point. The spark plugs are wet and smell of gas. The fuel bump can be heard after I stop trying to turn the car over.

I did two different checks on the DI cassette. These were done with both old and new spark plugs. I wired each plug while it was in the boots of the cassette to the negative battery terminal. I didn't notice a single spark from any plug except for one but the spark was very slight. Shouldn't they be just snapping with spark? I also did the same test with the plugs grounded to the block with only a slight spark noticed from one plug.

I am starting to think that the DI has failed. Any thoughts. Please

Thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
When the engine is turned o'er, do you observe any life at the tachometer? If so, that is proof that the CPS is good, at least when cold..Those without a no-start condition cannot do this test as the car starts too quickly to notice anything..
So, with no or a weak spark and wet plugs, it is new DIC time.
I think our Mr Smith means to say NSS, not DSS.
NSS= neutral safety switch, but not pertinent in this case.
http://www.saabwiki.info/index.php?title=NG_900/9-3_Crankshaft_Position_Sensor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes when i turn it over the tach does move so from what i've read on here the cps is okay. now its time to find a DIC. anyone have a special source because $400 is just to steep. is ebay pretty reliable?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yes when i turn it over the tach does move so from what i've read on here the cps is okay. now its time to find a DIC. anyone have a special source because $400 is just to steep. is ebay pretty reliable?
If you go with ebay, you can get a good DIC for a lot less than list. You can also get burned.

Make sure that the DIC you bid on has a Saab data plate. There are Chinese knock-offs that are not worth the postage, no less the price. There is a four digit number on the data plate that is the date code with two digits of the year and two digits of the week. Try to get one made in 2000 or later. There is a version number. I believe that the current version is TK2.3C. I could be mis-remembering the version, but I'm sure that it ends in "C". If you find a "C" version for a good price, grab it.

John

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Where in the world is the schrader valve for hooking up a fuel pressure guage. I can't find it for the life of me unless its right in front of my face. I have the guage and connections but I can't find it on the fuel rail. Is it under something? Do I have to remove more than just the plastic cover. It should be right on the rail correct?

Please any help would be appreciated I need to remove some of the potential problems to get closer to the answer.
Your car doesn't have the Schrader valve. It is on the V6 cars

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
TK3.2C, for the RED DIC, put a "wanted" ad hereon the forums and I guarantee you'll find one for 50-100bucks.
-Cm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't want to jump the gun but if the DIC is the problem I picked one up on ebay for $125 so hopefully my car will be rollin' strong by weeks end or early next week. John I did find out and now know that theres no schrader valve but I believe fuel isn't the issue but thanks man. Cm452 thanks for that # the one I purchased has the exact number with the all important "C" at the end.

Hopefully this will fix my baby and she'll be runnin strong again to 200,000 miles. I hope I'm not jumping the gun but I will keep everyone posted on what happens in the next week. Now its just sit and wait for parts.

I want to extend my sincere gratitude to all who use this site and for the help I received. Every time I have an issue with my Saab I learn new things from this site and I wouldn't want to be without this site. The knowledge base is something you can't find anywhere but here.

THANKS TO ALL and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright I apologize for not responding back. Its been pretty busy the last month.

Anyways I want to let everyone know that I purchased a DI cassete from Ebay. Although it took two weeks for the e check to clear I finally received it.

I popped the new one in bolted it up attached the wiring harness and with ONE turn of the key my baby is running full. Have over 500 miles and no issues. Starts like a champ every morning.

I hope others find this post helpful.

THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS ARE GREAT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts