SaabCentral Forums banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
So, this is what I have coming...

The clone Tech2 with all of it's gizmos cables, the candi and a Saab memory card

Another Saab 32gb memory card for Tech2 View attachment 274455

An ELM327 V1.5 USB Cable OBD2 II OBD Diagnostic Scan Car Engine Code Reader

I also got a VAG-COM USB Cable KKL 409.1 OBD2 Scan Tool Auto For Audi SEAT Volkswagen because I also have an 01 T4 Transporter

And like I said, I have downloaded Trionic can flasher... which I will put on a small windoze 7 laptop

And I have WIS for Saab investigating....

Is there anything else I will need... since I am leaking money?

I have found zillions of vids on youtube about tech2 stuff... does anyone have any links to relevant threads on here, or youtube or whatever? So I can absorb lots of :poop: while I wait for my toys to arrive (y)
Does the laptop have a serial port? Is the OS on the laptop 32 or 64 bit?

·
Registered
Formerly had 900s have a black 2005 9-3 ARC auto at present
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
I think it is 32 bit... Edit: it is 32 bit and 64 bit capable:

Intel (R) Atom (TM) CPU N570 @1.66GHz
1GB memory
Intel (R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
26GB free memory

It has a port you can plug a standard PC monitor into... that is a serial port isn't it? It has 3 rows of 5 pins (VGA)... I think serial has 5 and 4 making 9 pins? Can I get an adapter for the 15 pin VGA to 9 pin serial?

·
Registered
52 Posts
No on the VGA to serial adapter, the VGA is only for video graphics. What a lot of people are using is this, Tripp Lite's USA-19HS, this is a USB to serial adapter. We personally do not use that as we have the proper set up for the Tech2 and actually perfer the MDI instead of the Tech2 as it is easier and more reliable. As long as the OS is 32 bit it will work just fine with TIS2000. TIS2000 uses a 32 bit system however it utilizes 16 bit drivers so the reason it needs the 32 bit is because it is backward compatible with 16 bit while the 64 bit is only backward compatible with 32 bit. The other way to get around some of these short comings is to run it within a virtual machine. GlobalTis does not have these restrictions. The tech2 is mid 90's technology and really has not had any major changes since it's inception so it requires some extra work to get it to run properly on most consumer laptops built after the mid 2000's . I know I may be running on a bit here, however I feel the more information the better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I don't know about anyone else, but I like info like this^... I like to know WHY something will (or wont) work... rather than just being told 'yes it will' or 'no it wont'.

With some understanding from info of the caliber you present, wanttohelp, I for one learn much faster and clearer.... thanks for your input (y)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

You might have to open ebay.com.au. If my little netbook/cable doesn't work, I have a friend who owns a computer shop, he has a stack of old laptops, I am sure he can knock one up for me.

Do you have any links to a cable known to work?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ok, another step closer... my T2 clone is on its way... yay!! so now I need to find a suitable replacement ECM.... I have located one from a model like mine... a 9-3 Auto 20t 2005 not too far from me. I messaged and it has its ECM but they can't (don't know) if it is any good.

So, If the motor runs, I can look for a CEL and I can check it for codes with my generic obd2 scanners and see if it has any issues... but if the motor doesn't run, is there any way I can check the ECM?

Otherwise I will just have to pay $AU180 ($US125) and hope it isn't worse than mine? And again... do the numbers on the ECM have to be identical to mine? or does it just have to be a 9-3 from 2003 to 2008 or whatever.... and if a range of years will work, am I better to look for an earlier (2003) or later (to whatever date suits)?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
While looking for an ECM... one place I can get a 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008 or 2009... all for 9-3 auto... for $AU180 as mentioned...

And I found a 2003 complete car with a blown head gasket for $AU500 (nice car other than the head gasket) .... so, might this 2003 be a good score for all of the parts as well as the ecm?

Do many parts from a 2003 9-3 sedan fit my 2005 sedan?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I believe (from this thread) ECM compatibility I can use between a 2003 (or I guess a very late 2002) and 2006 ecm?

But again, the question is, is a 2003 (earlier than mine) better than a 2006 (later than mine) or is the hardware identical?

Also, and I am guessing it is so, that I need to get an ecm off of a auto sedan like mine... rather than say, from a manual sedan... or 2 door convertible... or doesn't it really matter because it is going to get all of the data off mine anyway?

I am just asking all of these questions because my T2 should arrive in a week or so... so I would like to have an ECM here ready for when it arrives... BUT, I want to make sure I have a CORRECT ECM... OR the best ECM (if a 2003 is best, or 2006 is better etc) I don't want to go and buy a 2003 ECM and then y'all say "Dang! You should have got a 2006, it is better"

I like the idea of buying that $500 car with the blown head gasket... then I will have spare EVERYTHING

The only thing that I find suspicious, os it is advertised as a 2004 model, but the tag says clearly it is a 12/02 and WIS has it down as a 2003?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe (from this thread) ECM compatibility I can use between a 2003 (or I guess a very late 2002) and 2006 ecm?

But again, the question is, is a 2003 (earlier than mine) better than a 2006 (later than mine) or is the hardware identical?

Also, and I am guessing it is so, that I need to get an ecm off of a auto sedan like mine... rather than say, from a manual sedan... or 2 door convertible... or doesn't it really matter because it is going to get all of the data off mine anyway?

I am just asking all of these questions because my T2 should arrive in a week or so... so I would like to have an ECM here ready for when it arrives... BUT, I want to make sure I have a CORRECT ECM... OR the best ECM (if a 2003 is best, or 2006 is better etc) I don't want to go and buy a 2003 ECM and then y'all say "Dang! You should have got a 2006, it is better"

I like the idea of buying that $500 car with the blown head gasket... then I will have spare EVERYTHING View attachment 274477

The only thing that I find suspicious, os it is advertised as a 2004 model, but the tag says clearly it is a 12/02 and WIS has it down as a 2003?

View attachment 274479

View attachment 274478
You will not be able to use the 2003 ecm when using the Tech2 method. The 2003 ECM will not work on your car as it has SAI (secondary air), part of the emissions. Here is how it works as far as what will or will not work. This is only valid for the T8 ecm's. The cloning method; Any 2003 to 2012 with the exception of the 2003 convertible (the 03 convertible is based on the 2002 models).
The Tech2 method; 2003 all by itself, 2004 - 2006 and then 2007 and up with the exception of the AWD models. Using the Tech2 method, the part numbers have to match. There are a few reasons why the ecm has to be the correct one using the Tech2. 1) You are not actually transferring any information from your original ecm, what you are doing is taking information from other modules in the car and installing that data into the replacement then adding the ecm to the network. 2)The different parts numbers on the ecm designate the OS and the firmware and the Tech2 does not have the ability to change these.
The used car you are looking at is clearly a 2003 ( the tenth digit of the VIN on most passenger cars, not only Saab designates the year) so I hope it was just a typo thing.
I know we started to dicuss the need for the Tech2 and connecting it to the the laptop. This will be needed to add the replacement ecm to the car as you will need security access to do so.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thanks mate, yes, the Tech2 is on its way and my friend with the computer shop will resurrect a laptop for me, so that is all good. Now, I just need to find a ECM to use... from what you say, it needs to be 2004/05/06 with the exact numbers matching because the tech 2 method is really just using the doner ECM files and adding the correct security info so the donor ECM thinks everything is correct?

So, what is the other method where only the donor hardware is used and the entire files are replaced on the donor ECM? Is that done with the Candi module and the laptop?

I am just trying to get my head around it... is it that the Tech2 alone can 'cheat' a different ECM (with the same part numbers) to think it belongs with the vin and keys... so the donor ECM has to have the exact SAME running parameters/data as the original.

If you do it the other way, is it right that the Tech2 unlocks and stores the security data so the laptop can delete/flash the entire software off the donor module and then have the entire data content of the original put onto the donor (clone)?

What my thinking is, if I can find an 04 Auto ARC sedan ECM... great, with the Tech2 just Bs the replacement so the keys and security wok and all is well... But...

If I can only find a, say, 2004 or 2006 ECM with the different part number... it just has to be done with a deeper method? flash the whole shootin' match.

Does my thinking sound sort of on the right track? Or, have I lost the plot?

I don't know if anyone can tell... but after being quite terrified of the thought of doing anything 'computerish'... I am actually now quite excited and can't wait to get stuck into it...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thanks Crum... That's amazing.... I just joined that forum an hour ago (y)

That is awesome... I signed up as Calcifer

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks mate, yes, the Tech2 is on its way and my friend with the computer shop will resurrect a laptop for me, so that is all good. Now, I just need to find a ECM to use... from what you say, it needs to be 2004/05/06 with the exact numbers matching because the tech 2 method is really just using the doner ECM files and adding the correct security info so the donor ECM thinks everything is correct?

So, what is the other method where only the donor hardware is used and the entire files are replaced on the donor ECM? Is that done with the Candi module and the laptop?

I am just trying to get my head around it... is it that the Tech2 alone can 'cheat' a different ECM (with the same part numbers) to think it belongs with the vin and keys... so the donor ECM has to have the exact SAME running parameters/data as the original.

If you do it the other way, is it right that the Tech2 unlocks and stores the security data so the laptop can delete/flash the entire software off the donor module and then have the entire data content of the original put onto the donor (clone)?

What my thinking is, if I can find an 04 Auto ARC sedan ECM... great, with the Tech2 just Bs the replacement so the keys and security wok and all is well... But...

If I can only find a, say, 2004 or 2006 ECM with the different part number... it just has to be done with a deeper method? flash the whole shootin' match.

Does my thinking sound sort of on the right track? Or, have I lost the plot? View attachment 274480 View attachment 274481

I don't know if anyone can tell... but after being quite terrified of the thought of doing anything 'computerish'... I am actually now quite excited and can't wait to get stuck into it... View attachment 274483 View attachment 274484
This might be easier to understand. The Tech2 is an antiquated piece of equipment, at it's inception Windows 95 was new and since then it has never had any substantial updates. The reason there is an external CANDI module (this module is only used so it can communicate with certain cars) is due the fact it was not possible to integrate the hardware internally. It is not capable of really doing anything except some very basic tasks (computer wise) I will not waste your time with all of that. The Tech2 does not have the ability to transfer the ecm data from one to another so it is far less superior then most think. You need to use an ecm with the same part number using the Tech2 method as it is only capable of accessing at a very low level. They also implemented some of these restrictions with it so no one could gain access to their code.
So to put it plain and simple. If you want to perform the ecm swap with the Tech2 you need the same part number. If you will be cloning you don't.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Agreed. As it stands, you still need a Tech 2 to do anything else on the car that involves firmware updates, adding/removing modules, etc. Its best use is in running diagnostics, configuration, and exercising & testing suspect components. T8Suite and TrionicCANFlasher are for ECU only.

EDIT: corrected MDI mistake

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Still waiting for the T2 to arrive... Ho Hum... talk about the slow boat from China....

After I ordered it from Chinacardiag... they fooled around for a couple of days, then I got an email saying that I live in a 'remote area' (which I don't) so I had to pay another $AU63 ($US40) and send it by DHL...

I told them I live in a town on the Sunshine Coast (not remote location) but they wouldn't take any notice... so, I paid the extortion last friday and my order is still 'processing' with the only thing in the tracking is that DHL in Kuala Lumpur has 'received shipment information'... not a bad effort for a week having passed...

Man, I sure hope I never have to buy anything from this mob again... very stressful (AKA: PIA)

61 - 80 of 106 Posts