SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,795 Posts
It shows Australia as one of the ship to countries so don't see why not. Changed shipping to $65USD for me when I changed it from USA. So must be no issue.

·
Registered
Formerly had 900s have a black 2005 9-3 ARC auto at present
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yeah, they do... $US65 shipping, so .... can get one here for about $AU480... heaps cheaper than ebay, like you said

Just tick all the Saab boxes..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Do I need any extra Saab memory cards?

·
Super Moderator
19,795 Posts
no

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Cool... my hair trigger buy now finger is just winding up to strike! The boxes are ticked right? Nothing else needed? T minus 10 and counting ....

·
Super Moderator
19,795 Posts
lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are these real tech2 or some sort of clones/fakes? Guessing by the price (and location) not real, but are they any good?

[/URL]:DosAAOSwWXNe9ZAP&frcectupt=true[/URL]
Did you make the choice to purchase the Tech2 to get the ECM sorted? I am sure not only for that, I was just wondering simply because you will now need to get the software set up so you can get the full use out of the tool and to add the ECM.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I have been in contact with a guy state side who i was going to get my ecm repaired, but the only issue was I don't want to send my cars ecm to America. Why? Because my car is showing no symptoms, I went away last weekend in the car and did just short of 600km with zero issues and showing 8.0 liters per hundred km. If i remove the ecm to send to America, there is a risk of it being lost in the post. Then.my car will go to scrap.

I tried to find a solution where I don't have to risk crippling my perfectly good car, and to extract the files he needs to put into another ecm somehow. I asked if there was some way I could get someone with a tech2 to get the data he needs so I can send the data to America, whilst still being able to use my car until the ecm arrives.

He mentioned I would need to get use of a tech2 (I have a friend with one who i may have been able to convince to help extract the data) and a candi and so on... which had me again considering actually sending the ecm... but I looked on youtube and google and decided to not send the ecm, but go the data extraction route instead.... so I messaged him to ask what I need to get the data... and told him I have a couple of cables (elm327), TIS and a Saab memory card for a tech2 to send him the data on on the way...

However, since I sent that message saying I can't bring myself to send my ecm to him... I have not heard back from him.

So, last night, after re doing my research, I thought the best way ahead is to buy a tech2... I was looking at them on ebay, but Diggs gave me the link to the one I bought.

I am sure, with the help of you guys on here, I should be able to either work out how to do it myself (the whole job) or at least extract the info onto a memory card and then send the memory card to them... therefore not risk losing my cars ecm (and not be able to drive it for 5 weeks while ecm is away)

As I have said all along, if my car was dead or undrivable from a failed ecm... I would send the ecm right away. But since my car runs so well, I am simply not prepared to kill it for no rock solid reason. As I said to him, I paid $AU4,200 ($US2,900) for the car... if I send the ecm somewhere and it gets lost somehow.... my car will go to scrap and I will get about $AU100 ($US69) for it... so, a total loss of about $AU4,131....

Now, I will have my own hardware, the Tech2 clone and all of the software ... I have downloaded TIS and trionic can flasher, have the Saab database (WIS?) and will get anything else I need and either learn (with the forum's help) how to do it myself... or be able to send the data to a repairer on the other side of the planet the data, not my entire ecm.

When I registered my car, the title search came up with the fact it has once been registered as a 'high end Taxi/ Chauffeur driven taxi' and is in perfect condition... drives beautifully... only issue is a yellow CEL... so, I don't want to risk killing it.

Yes, the other problem is the steering wheel is on the wrong side....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
This way, I will be able to 'tinker' and learn how to sort the issue myself (I mean, how hard can it be? LOL) without risking losing my ecm and still be able to use my car... even if it takes me a while to get a replacement ecm sorted...

Once I do have a replacement ecm in and running, I CAN solder... I have a good soldering station and microscopic viewer... I might even be able to open my ecm and find a dry solder joint and fix it? (just for fun)

One thing I do want to do, is add airflow to the ecm... either by drilling holes in the motor cover, ducting air into the ecm under the cover... or even holes and a computer fan (to cool the ecm)

I phoned a couple of Saab dealers in Brisbane (near me) and was quoted $AU2,100 and $AU2,350 for them to replace the ecm .... both places said this was common on Australian Saabs... the ecm under the plastic cover gets hot as we have temperatures over 35c often for more than 6 months of the year... it gets awful hot under the hood and as a result, the earth joint in the ecm, that earths the injectors and waste gate drivers can get dry and have poor contact.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I am actually very surprised that no one has done some sort of 'open source' software for Saab electronics... now that Saab is no more? I would have thought that some 'geeks' would come up with something to get around all of this nonsense... I have 3D printers and RC models.... so much of the software for both is open source and freely available to update and modify

·
Super Moderator
19,795 Posts
Right on. With tech2 it is super easy to replace ECU. I have 3 ECUs married to my car. All you need to do is find an ECU with same part number from same year and same engine/tranny. Go into ADD and add it. 5 minute job.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yeah, I know I just have to aim my ADD at it and I am sure I will be able to get the hang of it... at least having my own Tech2, I can tinker while still being able to enjoy my car.

Sorry if I waffle on a bit in this thread... but hopefully anyone following it will gain some insight into the journey... I mean hey, if I can do it... they could probably teach a chimp to do it (No offence to chimps)

·
Super Moderator
19,795 Posts
mmm, waffles

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been in contact with a guy state side who i was going to get my ecm repaired, but the only issue was I don't want to send my cars ecm to America. Why? Because my car is showing no symptoms, I went away last weekend in the car and did just short of 600km with zero issues and showing 8.0 liters per hundred km. If i remove the ecm to send to America, there is a risk of it being lost in the post. Then.my car will go to scrap.

I tried to find a solution where I don't have to risk crippling my perfectly good car, and to extract the files he needs to put into another ecm somehow. I asked if there was some way I could get someone with a tech2 to get the data he needs so I can send the data to America, whilst still being able to use my car until the ecm arrives.

He mentioned I would need to get use of a tech2 (I have a friend with one who i may have been able to convince to help extract the data) and a candi and so on... which had me again considering actually sending the ecm... but I looked on youtube and google and decided to not send the ecm, but go the data extraction route instead.... so I messaged him to ask what I need to get the data... and told him I have a couple of cables (elm327), TIS and a Saab memory card for a tech2 to send him the data on on the way...

However, since I sent that message saying I can't bring myself to send my ecm to him... I have not heard back from him.

So, last night, after re doing my research, I thought the best way ahead is to buy a tech2... I was looking at them on ebay, but Diggs gave me the link to the one I bought.

I am sure, with the help of you guys on here, I should be able to either work out how to do it myself (the whole job) or at least extract the info onto a memory card and then send the memory card to them... therefore not risk losing my cars ecm (and not be able to drive it for 5 weeks while ecm is away)

As I have said all along, if my car was dead or undrivable from a failed ecm... I would send the ecm right away. But since my car runs so well, I am simply not prepared to kill it for no rock solid reason. As I said to him, I paid $AU4,200 ($US2,900) for the car... if I send the ecm somewhere and it gets lost somehow.... my car will go to scrap and I will get about $AU100 ($US69) for it... so, a total loss of about $AU4,131....

Now, I will have my own hardware, the Tech2 clone and all of the software ... I have downloaded TIS and trionic can flasher, have the Saab database (WIS?) and will get anything else I need and either learn (with the forum's help) how to do it myself... or be able to send the data to a repairer on the other side of the planet the data, not my entire ecm.

When I registered my car, the title search came up with the fact it has once been registered as a 'high end Taxi/ Chauffeur driven taxi' and is in perfect condition... drives beautifully... only issue is a yellow CEL... so, I don't want to risk killing it.

Yes, the other problem is the steering wheel is on the wrong side....

View attachment 274450 View attachment 274451 View attachment 274452
The steering wheel is actually on the wrong side for us in the states. As I said in the past I am not here to sell anything. Just want to clear a few things up. 1) Loosing your ECM will not in any way make your car scrap, all you would have to do is get another one and add it to the car with the Tech2 2) The Tech2 is incapable of extracting the proper information to send to anyone in order to make an ecm work for any of these cars, so whoever that was is clearly lying or has no clue what they are doing. 3) The only way to send the proper (bin) file would be to get that file from the ecm and send that to someone, the Tech2 can not do this. However the Trionic software is a way that can work.
It's good you want to learn and I see you have downloaded TIS, there is plenty of information here to get that working properly as it is not just install and use. I prefer GlobalTis, however TIS is just fine for your car. Also in order to connect the Tech2 to a computer there are some requirements for that also and again there is plenty of information here about that. Yes you will have to at some point have to connect it to a computer especially with the NG9-3's including when you want to add the ecm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Thanks wanttohelp... yes, I think the key to this is having a tech2 and working out how to do it... otherwise I will end up chasing my tail all over the world...

That was my joke because your steering wheel is actually on the wrong side (for here) :p they even make the latest Mustangs with the steering wheel on the correct side (for here)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So, for Australians viewing the thread, from Chinacardiags it cost $AU427 all up... then I got an email saying that I live in a 'remote location' so it cost $AU60.60 extra to be sent by DHL... even though my 'remote location' is on the Sunshine Coast?

Oh well, still way cheaper than from ebay.... and i should get it in 7-10 days

I sure hope it doesn't pass thru Wuhan (and no one there licks it):oops::ROFLMAO::poop:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
So, do I have to get the exact part number on my ECM? Or can I look for any ECM from a 9-3 of my cars model run? Mine is a 2004 built, 2005 on the Australian register... so the 9-3 of this type was 2003 to 2008 before major changes wasn't it?

Can I look for any ecm from an auto 9-3? Or only a 2004-05?

If any from 03 to 08... am I better to look for earliest or latest?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So, this is what I have coming...

The clone Tech2 with all of it's gizmos cables, the candi and a Saab memory card

Another Saab 32gb memory card for Tech2

An ELM327 V1.5 USB Cable OBD2 II OBD Diagnostic Scan Car Engine Code Reader

I also got a VAG-COM USB Cable KKL 409.1 OBD2 Scan Tool Auto For Audi SEAT Volkswagen because I also have an 01 T4 Transporter

And like I said, I have downloaded Trionic can flasher... which I will put on a small windoze 7 laptop

And I have WIS for Saab investigating....

Is there anything else I will need... since I am leaking money?

I have found zillions of vids on youtube about tech2 stuff... does anyone have any links to relevant threads on here, or youtube or whatever? So I can absorb lots of :poop: while I wait for my toys to arrive (y)

41 - 60 of 106 Posts