SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i know the saabs make a grinding noise when cold (which oddly enough ours doesnt)

however when the weather is warm say 27c or so, the suspension creaks really bad. I mean like it sounds like the suspension is covered in sand paper or something lol.
Also when turning left or right theres a very audible (from inside) grinding noise.

Both noises go away after driving in a cooler area after a while (weird)

the suspensino creaks going over speed bumps and the like and the steering will just grind with every turn of the wheel.

What should I be looking at?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
lol, loveb. :lol:

How's your power steering fluid?

Did you fix your sump plug ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there my saab aero creeks ,replace front springs and back ones looked new with no marks on them i put it down to being a convertable with the movement

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sump plug all good now, bogan. lol change oil done too.

PS fluid I changed last year i believe. it made it quiet for a bit but always came back. Unless I'm ruining the fluid yearly. Maybe a leak or something allowing moisture in making it useless when warm?

hmm... will look into springs. Only makes the noise when warm though. Kind of like he same sound saabs apparently make in the cold

·
Registered
167 Posts
Could try checking the bump stops. Mine currently are making a terrible noise when I turn and go over bumps. I just haven't found time to grease them. You should be able to just jack up one side at a time and give the bump stop a turn on the piston of the shock by hand to see if it is noisy.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
As there are no zerks......and have not been any since the early 70s....nothing can be greased.
Does she creak and groan in the wet ?
The water acts as a lubricant.
Re-new all the rubber, (boots, bushings, stops) or tolerate a little "semi-normal noise":cheesy:.. And broken springs may also show when the suspension is unloaded and exposed.

·
Registered
19,169 Posts
an you reproduce the sounds in the driveway with the car hot? That would be the first test. If it's only at speed, it's going to be much harder.

Definitely check the firewall if you have a RHD car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts