SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,,first off I live in Canada, not many "Luxurouse" motor powered antena can survive more than 2 winters here (usually they bust with in the first),,,, especially with saab design which it come up and down automatically,,hehe i was not surprised when i bought the car and it didn't work...but how ever it is annoying >.> I wanna take the motor and the auto function out all together >.< any suggestions?

·
Registered
62 Posts
thats very easy. some little s**t here in england broke the anteena off of my electric one. to remove completely, just remove the carpeting, and undo the bolts securing the motor to the car. undo the bolt where the aerial comes thru the car body and thats it. Fit new non-electrical aerial and as they say en france, voila!!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
New antenna masts are only about $20, so replacing one every two years is less than half the cost of a tank of gas.

If you want to pull it up manually, just find the directions for replacing the mast, clip the flexible plastic guide, glue a spacer below the top of the mast so it can be pulled up manually, and reinstall. Don't even have to pull up the hatch liner to get to the motor wires if the sound does not bother you.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I bought a replacement at www.crutchfield.com, a "universal" one that fit nicely. It's just a single shaft that doesn't go up and down, so I'd need to unscrew it if I went to an auto car wash (which I hardly ever do).

It was easy to do, and everything will be obvious once you peel back the trunk liner on that side. One bolt or two holds on the motor and there's an electrical plug or two. The antenna cable itself is the standard size and sits up high. The new one works much much better than the old one ever did.

I took out the whole motor and threw it away (with great glee). Honestly, I can't see how this silly gimmick got so popular. Was it really so hard to push down your antenna manually when you went through a carwash? Do most SAAB buyers live in places where antennas get vandalized?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You could also set it up with a switch so it only lowers or rasies when you want it to.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
JMarkert said:
Do most SAAB buyers live in places where antennas get vandalized?
Thats the thing, some snotty kid could go walking through a parking lot and break dozens just for fun in minutes!

Mine was bad, so I bought a Viggen replacement and put it on the roof for about the same money as replacing my whole unit (motor and mast were bad).

Tboy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts