SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a new thread for this one. Those following the continuing saga of crash/teardown/rebuild/issues know that 2 of the biggies were no 5th gear and no boost. Well 5th gear is fixed and now it's on to the boost - or lack thereof- issue.

I have pulled and checked the boots from the turbine out, the ic in, the ic out, checked the apc solenoid, checked the apc signal hoses, replaced the ic and replaced the air filter housing too (just because it needed it, not because I thought it was part of the problem). The result is a nice tight system that doesn't whine audibly or burp or anything.

What I'm left with now is either the boost gauge or the APC module. The line is connected to the boost gauge so I'm wondering where it gets its feed from? Bentleys is not informative (unless I missed it the dozen times I scoured for it).

Anyone know where the other end of the boost gauge line connects?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I believe it's on the left side of the intake near the back by the alternator. There's a vacuum fitting with two nipples on it. The boost gauge connects to one of the nipples (on mine, they're vertical and the boost gauge is connected to the lower one).

Dustin

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here? I thought that was it too but it's all hooked up. Also, the gauge seems to be reading manifold vacuum fine. Starts of in the middle of the left side and goes into the white 'block' just before yellow but won't go into boost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you check your wastegate actuator? It could've been damaged in the crash, and is holding the wastegate off its seat. If the wastegate is held open.....no boost. As for the location of the vac line to the apc gauge, your pic is looking right at it.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K, looking at the wastegate now I can see where this could be the problem. In this picture, there's a shiny part of the rod that is protruding...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yup. That could be it. Under normal conditions , the wastegate is closed tight. You should be able to move the rod towards the radiator, that opens the gate. The spring should pull it back shut. You should hear the clank of metal on metal when it shuts. It's a pretty stiff spring in the actuator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Correction: the rod moves away from the radiator when actuated. I just went and looked at mine....if I open the wastegate, a "shiny" spot on the actuator is evident. That could definitely be your problem.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correction: the rod moves away from the radiator when actuated. I just went and looked at mine....if I open the wastegate, a "shiny" spot on the actuator is evident. That could definitely be your problem.
Yeah it moves away from the radiator. Must not be closing all the way...darnitall. I'll try and get under the car and see if I can muscle it closed more...if not, I have another wastegate on a spare turbo sitting on the bench just waiting for the call to get in the game. The ac side fan got jammed into it I'm sure. Probably what busted up the shroud on the fan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those spare parts come in handy sometimes! Ya, I would try strong arming the old one closed somehow, then take her out for a little test run. Im sure you'll see that boost gauge slide into the lovely yellow zone....;ol;

·
Registered
602 Posts
Here? I thought that was it too but it's all hooked up. Also, the gauge seems to be reading manifold vacuum fine. Starts of in the middle of the left side and goes into the white 'block' just before yellow but won't go into boost.
Yup, pretty sure that lower one goes to the gauge.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OkeeDokee...so the wastegate was damaged in the crash. First pic shows where it was squished, which prevented the diaphram from closing.

No problem. I'll just switch it out with the spare.

BIG problem. They're different gates! I can't get the rod extended enough on the spare to fit.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
:lol:So, like a good fan of ******* fixes I laid the old one on the ground, face down, and hammered the rod until the shiny part disappeared.

I have boost now...not more than a third of the way into the yellow but definitely it's boosting...it's obviously still bleeding off, but it's boost all the same.

I know it's early but at the end of the year, when you guys hand out "******* fix of the year" awards, remember this moment.

Ps: if anyone has a can like mine and wants to trade, I'm in a vulnerable place right now so you can make a good deal! :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
:lol:So, like a good fan of ******* fixes I laid the old one on the ground, face down, and hammered the rod until the shiny part disappeared.

I have boost now...not more than a third of the way into the yellow but definitely it's boosting...it's obviously still bleeding off, but it's boost all the same.

I know it's early but at the end of the year, when you guys hand out "******* fix of the year" awards, remember this moment.

Ps: if anyone has a can like mine and wants to trade, I'm in a vulnerable place right now so you can make a good deal! :lol:
Yikes...That thing got caved in pretty good!! Glad to hear you've got some boost, though. That actuator is a critical part of the turbo/apc system. I guess you'll have to source the proper one at some point. Wish I had a spare for ya!!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, it took a serious pop in the nose. At first I thought the case actually had a crack in it but it's just folded over on itself a bit. Also, a quick search on fleaBay showed that the spare is actually an aftermarket gate so I emailed the seller to see if he had different lengths on the actuator rods. If not I might just take the spare to a good hardware store and fix me up one myowndangself ;ol;

All the time I was pulling the old one off I was thinking "man this would be so much easier if the front of the car was stripped" I was laughing 'cause the front of the car was stripped a week ago! :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's a *****, that you had the whole front end off last week! As Homer would say.....D'oh!!!

You could definitely improvise the rod. You just have to make sure the base boost is set correctly after all is said and done. On the other hand, you could just keep the wastegate permanently shut.....:eek:

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah it is pretty funny that I had the entire front end stripped...radiator core, radiator, bumper, hood...:lol:

The more I'm looking at the pics the more I'm sure that the "turnbuckle" part of that actuator rod won't be that difficult to source or fab up. The crack is 3psi and the full open is 7psi which kind of fits into Garret parameters I think. Not sure if the rod length will affect those numbers a fraction or not...since I pulled the whole turbo from a 90 Saab it must have worked while the car was still loved!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I just went through the same problem after my pinion bearing replacement and turbo overhaul. The only problem after it all went together? No boost. I adjusted the waste gate actuator rod, problem solved. Zoom, zoom!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ziggy has his mojo back!

Took a little creative license but Houston, we have BOOST! ;ol; The problem, as you readers know, was the wastegate off the spare turbo wasn't stock to the car. In the first pic you can see the difference in acturator rod lengths. By a couple inches of difference! Also, different bracketry...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So off to Ace Hardware for the fix. $2.03 later...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...and VOILA!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts