SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So OnStar switched from Analog to Digital and now I can't get OnStar in my MY03 9-3.

I believe I heard they aren't offering a upgrade kit. Has anyone heard any different or can it be done? And if it can't why not?

Gracias, Scott

·
Registered
525 Posts
You can check on the OnStar web site by using your VIN.

From the
OnStar web site
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that cellular carriers will not be required to support the analog cellular network beginning in early 2008. As a result, beginning January 1, 2008,
OnStar service will be available only through vehicles that are capable of operating on the digital cellular network. GM engineered digital upgrade kits for their analog OnStar-equipped vehicles that were capable of being upgraded to give many OnStar subscribers the opportunity to continue service after January 1, 2008.

Eligibility requirements
Many GM vehicles with analog/digital-ready
OnStar equipment are eligible for the digital upgrade. Click here to see if your vehicle is eligible. You will be prompted to input your vehicle identification number (VIN) into the OnStar look-up tool, which will determine what type of OnStar equipment is currently installed in the vehicle.

Program cost
Eligible customers who purchase a prepaid, non-refundable, non-transferable 1-year
OnStar Safe & Sound subscription for $199 (plus applicable subscription tax) will receive an equipment upgrade including parts and labor for only $15.* A Directions & Connections subscription is available as well.

Vehicles that activated
OnStar subscriptions on or after February 20, 2007 will be charged an additional $100 activation fee

Good luck

For my 2006 9-5 this is the result.

Your VIN Result

You entered VIN YS3ED49G863XXXXXX

This is a dual-mode (analog/digital) vehicle with equipment that operates on both the analog and digital cellular networks. It will not require an upgrade in connection with the cellular industry's transition to the digital network.

Since this vehicle is capable of operating on the digital network, no action is required.

Unfortunately your analog OnStar my not be upgradeable.:(

On the OnStar Upgrade FAQ page:

Analog-Only:
OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment were designed to operate only on the analog cellular network and there is no digital upgrade available. Vehicles with this equipment will no longer be able to receive OnStar services beginning January 1, 2008. At this time, service is available only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. (Refer to Question #7 for additional details.)

Analog/Digital-Ready:
OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog/digital-ready equipment operated on the analog cellular network, but can be upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment if available for that vehicle (while supplies last). Beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service will not be available on these vehicles unless the OnStar equipment has been upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital):
OnStar-equipped vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment operate on both the analog and digital cellular networks and will not require an upgrade in connection with the cellular industry's transition to the digital network.

Q7: Why can't a GM vehicle's analog-only equipment be upgraded?
A7: Our objective for any digital upgrade kit is to ensure that the OnStar system is of sufficient reliability for provision of services. The electrical systems in vehicles with analog-only equipment are not compatible with digital OnStar equipment. Given the level of modifications that would be required for these vehicles, we did not believe it possible to develop an upgrade kit that could be installed at the dealership with sufficient reliability for provision of OnStar services.

GM should have seen this a long time ago. I have an antiquated Motorola StarTac phone that I purchased in 1998 that is digital and analog. There will be many unhappy GM customers.:evil:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What digital?

In your Startec example, the digital "flavor" might be CDMA or something that isn't offered anymore by the cellular providers.

I had to get rid of a cellphone because AT&T changed flavors.

The Startec was the best cellphone ever.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok then I am going to just say F it, and remove the OnStar unit under the rear parcel and use that spot for an aftermarket amp.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Krieg said:
In your Startec example, the digital "flavor" might be CDMA or something that isn't offered anymore by the cellular providers.

I had to get rid of a cellphone because AT&T changed flavors.

The Startec was the best cellphone ever.
Currently and for the past two years I have been using a Kyocera 7135 a CDMA digital cell phone and palm based PDA. About a couple weeks ago I turned on the old StarTAC and it still receives a signal. As you have correctly noted the StarTAC is also a CDMA digital phone. I have service through Alltel.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
My 1997 Motorola and Nokia Orange Cellphones still work anywhere in Europe. They are GSM phones. The Nokia Orange can text just like these modern day phones.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
free US nav

If this disk with the american and canadian maps is compatible with the european nav system, then you could install it and get free nav for life.

http://www.westcoastradios.com/catalog/item/613754/4350479.htm

Im not not sure if the disk (ignore the price as its for the equipment) in the link above is a dvd or cd(needs to be dvd rom) or if its in the correct format either(I think it needs to be sdal) or something. Heres a link to a euro map disk on ebay by Navteq: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAAB-SAT-NAV-DVD-SDAL-FORMAT-2006-MAPS-UK-EU-GENUINE_W0QQitemZ150227593367QQihZ005QQcategoryZ139824QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem if an american dvd-rom disk in sdal format could be found then I cant see why you shouldn't be able to install it. it works purely on gps.

If you already have the icm3 color screen, all you would need is the dvd rom reader which sits under amp2 in the trunk like this one:

and the gps computing unit which sits where the onstar module would under the parcel shelf, like this one(except without the sim card slot because that isnt compatable with your cell networks):

and then you would need a gps shark fin for the roof and a suitable nav dvd with the american maps on it.

anyone see why this wouldn't work?

I could find out part numbers on my epc if anyone was interested.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Us 2003 owners are officially SOL. This is what I got when I entered my VIN:

As a result, starting January 1, 2008, OnStar service in the United States and Canada will be available only for vehicles that operate on the digital cellular network. This is an analog-only vehicle, with equipment that can only operate on the analog cellular network. Since this vehicle's equipment is analog-only, its OnStar system will not operate on the digital cellular network and upgrades are not available. This means, in an emergency, despite what the system may indicate, this vehicle will not have a connection. We regret that we will not be able to provide OnStar service to this vehicle after December 31, 2007.

Mine's been a paperweight since '04 anyway. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The 2003 model was promoted as "analog/digital-ready", and it is. It's a simple module swap. GM, however, has declined to offer the module which is very similar to one in use in Europe. So GM lies and says now that the box is "analog only".

·
Registered
10 Posts
module availability???

sbl said:
The 2003 model was promoted as "analog/digital-ready", and it is. It's a simple module swap. GM, however, has declined to offer the module which is very similar to one in use in Europe. So GM lies and says now that the box is "analog only".
Okay. Have a 2003 9-3 SE vert; where can I get the module you refer to?? or, a "dual mode" module, say from/for a 2004 9-3 (understand that the main wiring harness was changed in 2005)??

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
WooSAABy said:
If you already have the icm3 color screen, all you would need is the dvd rom reader which sits under amp2 in the trunk like this one:
i thought the ICM3 comes with Navigation already? What do you mean by "free" gps? Isn't all GPS free, well, after you buy the tomtom?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Maybe this info won't do you guys any good, since my car is a 2001, but I got a letter in the mail from Saab, saying something to the tune of:

"Your analog OnStar won't be supported in the future. But in the event of an accident your system will still try to contact the OnStar network repeatedly until your car battery is dead. So, bring this letter into a Saab dealership before April 2009 and we will remove the paperweight at no cost so this doesn't happen to you."

I realize that this thread is probably more about the people who have and want to continue receiving the OnStar service, but it's sort of on topic and might be a secondary issue you guys need to address...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
robhurlburt said:
i thought the ICM3 comes with Navigation already? What do you mean by "free" gps? Isn't all GPS free, well, after you buy the tomtom?
I believe you could also get the icm3 with just the tel2 here in UK and prestige audio without the navigation. not sure about US. Im still not sure how the gps nav systems with onstar in the US work? i.e. if you get charged for it or not?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
WooSAABy said:
I believe you could also get the icm3 with just the tel2 here in UK and prestige audio without the navigation. not sure about US. Im still not sure how the gps nav systems with onstar in the US work? i.e. if you get charged for it or not?
Its too bad the ICM3 isn't cheaper

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
kenalfred said:
Okay. Have a 2003 9-3 SE vert; where can I get the module you refer to?? or, a "dual mode" module, say from/for a 2004 9-3 (understand that the main wiring harness was changed in 2005)??
You can't - it was never manufactured. The phone part is a swappable module inside the OnStar box, made by Siemens. GM could have asked to produce a CDMA version for Verizon but declined to do so. I think what they ended up doing was making replacement boxes, but not for the 9-3 and its MOST connector.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts