SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...so after figuring out that it was NOT the head gasket and getting it put back together, it fired right up. There's a video of it starting and idling on my facebook, but it's not public unfortunately. It idles great, 850-900 RPM (guessing, sorry I'm used to a Honda tach where every 100 RPMs has a mark). But it's smooth, very happy ;ol;.

My only real concern is if I rev it up and let out of the throttle quickly then it will bog, the computer will catch it and not let it stall, but only just. Then it resumes it's smooth idle.

Two possibilities that I can think of;

• Dashpot out of adjustment.
  • Bad TP sensor (as suggested by Eric Patterson (owner/operator of a local SAAB indie) that just as you come off/return to closed throttle and as you pass 3/4 throttle you should hear a tick sound from the switch. I asked if I could whip out my DMM and test it that way, he said yes, but I forgot to ask which wires to test. Don't know if anyone is familiar with this. Also will a TP off of a '90 N/A work on an '88 Turbo?)

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
Dash pot? is this a late carb version, if so check the rubber diagphram has'nt a hole in it, and make sure the location tabs are situated correctly;ol;

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, what "16saabs" is referring to sounds right, the little spring/diaphragm on the side of the TB closest the fender. Going to attempt to adjust it, going to mark its current location first of course.

Disturbingly though I found what I believe Patterson is talking about; on the same side of the TB, sorta hidden away is a small 3-blade connector switch. My issue currently is that it has 3 blade connectors, however I only have 2 wires :confused:. One of which I labeled "forward most" the other "rear most", but I'm baffled as to where the third wire is.

...+......+
...+......+

The "++" represent the "blade connectors" on the switch. (Ignore the "....")

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Yes, what "16saabs" is referring to sounds right, the little spring/diaphragm on the side of the TB closest the fender. Going to attempt to adjust it, going to mark its current location first of course.

Disturbingly though I found what I believe Patterson is talking about; on the same side of the TB, sorta hidden away is a small 3-blade connector switch. My issue currently is that it has 3 blade connectors, however I only have 2 wires :confused:. One of which I labeled "forward most" the other "rear most", but I'm baffled as to where the third wire is.

...+......+
...+......+

The "++" represent the "blade connectors" on the switch. (Ignore the "....")
well pretty sure the tps should have 12v, output and ground...

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
the power supply should come up the centre(just like your stereo volume control etc) as it's proper name is a potentiometer, and one side is the start of the signal and then as it moves round it will either get stronger (as less resistance=easier flow) or weaker according to the set up, this is then transferred to the ECU which acts accordinly to the strength of the signal, but it maybe our TPS just has the two as it will still have a resistance between two points as it rotates,

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The TPS is not switching +12 volts.
TPS is the black body on the flywheel side of the throttle body, on the axis shaft of the butterfly.
Pins are Pin 1 Idle contact, Pin 2 GND, Pin 3 wide open contact.
It will ground a contact, Pin. 1, to indicate IDLE mode or Pin 3 to indicate Wide Open, Full fuel enrichment.
The cream 3 pin switch on the fender side of the Throttle body usually is the A/C compressor cut when the throttle is wide open.

It sounds like the TPS is possibly not plugged in........loom may have fallen or got hidden in the rebound.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It sounds like the TPS is possibly not plugged in........loom may have fallen or got hidden in the rebound.
Sorta what I'm figuring. However I traced the 2 wires back to where they branch off from the main loom and there are only two wires branching off, entering the black sheath, and exiting it at the sensor. Does the third wire, I assume there has to be one, come from another loom/direction? If anyone has a picture showing the loom and wire colors as they correspond to the switch/potentiometer (on an '88 Turbo) that'd be helpful.

And the TPS, flywheel side of TB, is plugged in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts