SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. so my car sat for 3-3 and a half weeks before my buddy got out to start it up. (had to store it at school while im home for the summer) and he gets in the car to start it.. and nothing.. no interior lights.. key wont turn.. Needless to say i was less then pleased to hear this. I thought right away.. great here comes 40 dollars in programming. His dad has a battery charger deal at his house so he took the battery out of my car and took it home with him for the weekend to charge it up. he plugged it in.. and he said that it had 2.5 v or somethings.. where as its supposed to have 14 or so... Well he had the battery out of my car for about a week, he put it back in.. and he tells me the other day.. aux is still installed.. car honks when he locks it.. car locks on drive off... ALL MY TECH 2 SETTINGS STAYED! which .. i must say.. puzzled me.. I thought this was worthy of mentioning.. BSR appears to have stayed too.. but I figured the ecu had a backup battery deal of some sort to keep its settings. Comments ... do leave them.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
No battery backup. Not many electronics have used battery backup since the advent of flash-ROM. Kind of like the memory sticks. They hold their memory when disconnected from the computer.

It is a little disturbing that the battery ran down though. I know all the electronics are active (there are signals going through the system, actively waiting for input from something like the alarm or key), but it's really low, like millivolts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We've had this problem with a 9-33 SS in our family as well. The battery died after sitting for 2 weeks in a garage. Again, about 4 months later (after the saab dealer claimed 'faulty wiring' as the culprit), the problem occurred again. This time, they replaced the indash 6 disc changer. They claimed the problem was that the disc changer was staying awake.

Normally on a serial data bus like the 9-3 has, when a device stays awake when it shouldn't, it continually communicates on the bus. Because it won't stay quiet, all of the other modules on the bus decide to stay awake and talk. They may not appear to be powered up, but they are drawing more current than they should if they were all fully asleep. Thats the problem we had on our vehicle. Once the disc changer was replaced, the problem went away.

You should be able to keep your vehicle off for at least 30 days, and be able to crank the engine. In extreme cold this would be different, but in normal temps you should be fine. After that, you may need to jump start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts