SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is never a shortage of opinions here, so methinks I'll fish for some. :D I have my amplifier short list down to two amps: the Alpine MRP-F240 and the Kenwood KAC-6401. These are both 4 channel amps that will be used to power new 6"x9" and 4" speakers in the rear shelf. I am upgrading the 150w/7 speaker system. The 6401 is on the list because the newer version, 6402, is priced very similarly to the Alpine and at that price I'd just get the Alpine. The 6401 can be had new for $80 while the F240 is $130 (both prices are ballpark figures, shipping and tax not included.) It's only a $50 difference, but hey, $50 is $50 and I'd rather not waste it if it's not going to give me a noticeable benefit.

KAC-6401 MRP-F240
RMS (Watts x Channels) 30 x 4 40x4
THD @ Rated RMS Power 0.08% 0.08%
Peak Power (Watts x Channels) 160x2 75x4
Frequency Response 20-20k hz 20-20k hz

I don't know why Crutchfield has the peak power listed like that... should I just assume the 6401 is 320w max and the F240 is 300w max? Either way, the RMS is what is more important.

One significant difference and my main concern: the Alpine has a bass boost of 0-12dB @ 50hz. Given the crossed-over nature of the stock setup, will this be a good asset to have when driving those 6"x9" rears? I'll be pulling the signal off the front 6.5" door speakers.

Brands that were eliminated were Sony, Profile, Audiobahn, and Power Acoustik. I heard a few bad things about each of those brands, while I heard nothing bad about the ones I chose. Alpine as a brand seems to be more liked than Kenwood. Thanks in advance for your help guys! :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Definitely go for the Alpine. They are much better made and the sound quality is good. Have you considered JBL amps? They have very good bass response too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
epsilon93 said:
Definitely go for the Alpine. They are much better made and the sound quality is good. Have you considered JBL amps? They have very good bass response too.
All of the JBL stuff seems to have too much power (is there ever such a thing?) for what I plan on doing. I do not want to run a line to the battery; I will be tapping off the AMP2 wire already in the trunk.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i have the two channel version of that kenwood. its chill but nothing special.

you pay for what you get in this case. alpine is more expensive but also better quality.

will you be able to tell a difference? highly unlikely but id go with alpine if you are an audiophile.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ScoopSS said:
i have the two channel version of that kenwood. its chill but nothing special.

you pay for what you get in this case. alpine is more expensive but also better quality.

will you be able to tell a difference? highly unlikely but id go with alpine if you are an audiophile.
Musician yes, audiophile no. I love the sound of a Fender Twin or Blues Jr. tube amp, but I like the Ultimate Chorus solid state amp too. Quality comes in many forms. Hellcat makes nice amps, but not worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Aiwa and Sony shelf systems make me cringe, but I'm not going out and spending two grand on a receiver. For perspective, my home stereo is a Harmon Kardon AVR 120 with Yamaha NS series speakers. I'm not looking to rock my neighborhood with my car stereo.

Another thing, a car is definitely not the best place to distinguish minute differences in audio. You have road noise, rattles, squeaks, buzzes, wind buffeting, and street noise to deal with. I have no intentions of amping my front speakers so I can only go as loud as those will go without distorting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts