SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, ever since I squirted carb cleaner in the throttle housing and revved the engine the idling suddenly started running high, fluctuating between 900 & 2000, sometimes when you start car the idling is fine, but 90% of the time it's far too high.

The car is running very lean as well.

I notice that in the instructions for cleaning throttle housing that it says disconnect AMM to avoid damage, oops.

The question is do you think it's the AMM? especially as the whole high idling thing started as soon as carb cleaner was sprayed in the throt housing.

is there anything I can do adjustment wise, it's a lucas AMM, or shall i just replace it?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
161 Posts
As long as you didn't spray the carb cleaner directly into the AMM you should be fine there.

When I was having the same problem, poor idle and running lean, I changed the oxygen sensor and everything was fine after that. Just an idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, thats the first thing i did, i bought a 02 sensor, it made my engine light go away, just wondering if there was actually anything on the meter i could tweek to lower the revs, ps it's random, sometimes it's idling at 2000 others at 1500 or in between :(

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I've done this loads of times and I've never disconnected the AMM. Did you clean out the AIC valve at the same time? They can get clogged up and mess the idle around, or they can fail altogether even if they look clean. Have a look through the tech help idling guide as well.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I doubt you can do much harm spraying carb cleaner into your AMM - I do it every so often as there is no burn off function on the Lucas AMM so I spray through the side measuring port. Remove and dismantle your AIC valve and clean this thoroughly as a first step. Check the throttle closes fully and it is not sticking open slightly. If you have a multimeter check that the resistance between pin 1 and 6 is around 350 Ohms. Check and double check for air leaks, split hoses etc - are you having any stalling issues?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats a pretty good point, ok so I'll just clarify a few things... (what i've done starting with causing the prob in the first place).

1. the idle went haywire after we were revving the engine alot whilst spraying carb cleaner directly into the throttle housing. could it have sucked some crap in?

2. i have cleaned the AIC several times, and the conical plug extends up and down when connected, all seems ok.

3. I replaced the lambda sensor

4. cleaned the AMM

so, the point you mentioned about the throttle housing, could it be that the butterfly could be sticky? maybe it could account for the random idling rpm.
i really need to take the whole damn lot off to give it a proper clean i think.So it's probably not worth me getting a second hand AMM

Thanks for all your input it's much appreciated

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, I drove 200 miles yesterday just to try a 2nd hand AMM and it made no difference so my AMM must be fine, the only other thing they have said to test is the Fuel Pressure Regulator, I have searched on the forum but can't seem to find any instructions to test it, any ideas how i go about this? what is there to go wrong on the FPR?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts