SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put £80 worth of fuel in my 2000 Saab 95 2.3t ECOTECH over the past 3 days, with only a return of 300 miles. The on board computer is telling me Im averaging 18.8/18.9 miles/gallon, even under extremely careful (eco)driving.

Im much more used to my 1.8 hatchback so Im not totally sure if this is a reasonable fuel consumption. I bought the car with a knackered engine and have fitted a replacement. It also seems to pass some white smoke from the exhaust while idling on the spot. And its not head gasket, thanks.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can reset the MPG by holding the clear button. Also, your turbo is most likely on its way out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can reset the MPG by holding the clear button. Also, your turbo is most likely on its way out.
What makes you think the turbo has gone? When the engine was out, I check the turbo, there was no movement/play and it span freely. The only problem was the map sensors were different. The one on the original engine was a screw in type. The replacement engine had a bolt in type. Opposed to adapting the intake manifold, we changed the multiplug on the loom to take the new sensor. Could it be that the new sensor doesnt match up correctly with the engine management unit?

·
Registered
516 Posts
That sounds awful.

Tell us a little about the roads you drive. City, highway, length? If you're driving carefully you can see above 20 MPG (US) in the city, unless you only drive short and cold trips. On the highway, using the lightest throttle to maintain 60mph or so, you can expect to see above 30 mpgUS on level ground. Dunno about the strange conversion between US and UK gallons though.

Do reset the SID and test again. See if you have any check engine codes. Beyond that it's time to start looking for things going wrong. I don't have a lot of knowledge about that, but post back what you find. A code reader just might point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
for the lpt that does sound a little low. i drive regularly for the most part, although relatively short trips. i really let the throttle open at least a couple of times on one tank usually.

i get about 19.5-20.5 during winter, i can do as good as 22 during summer. all city, short trips. 2000 aero

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
below 3000ft I avg about 460-500 mpt
above that I avg closer to 550-600 mpt
best I got was 670miles on one tank, my wife drove that time.
this is highway type driving though, city it is to hard to figure as I drive so erratically lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What makes you think the turbo has gone? When the engine was out, I check the turbo, there was no movement/play and it span freely. The only problem was the map sensors were different. The one on the original engine was a screw in type. The replacement engine had a bolt in type. Opposed to adapting the intake manifold, we changed the multiplug on the loom to take the new sensor. Could it be that the new sensor doesnt match up correctly with the engine management unit?

I took it out for a good long drive last i put 30 pound worth of fuel in and got about 130-miles. Before i left i did clear the tip computer and it said i was doing about 21mpg. That was motorways doing about 70-90mph. thinking that i will put it on the works computer tomorrow see if anything does come up?

·
Registered
46 Posts
With the "spirited" driving of feeling out a new car and an even split between highway and city, I'm averaging 24.8 mpg.

Take into account I've only had this car for 500 miles and I replaced the DIC/plugs/filters/oil/coolant/and a sensor. I'm hoping it stays around 25mpg. Hard to beat a family sized car that is this much fun to drive and it doesn't empty you wallet at the gas pump!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts