SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting closer and closer to (finally) being done with this engine rebuild. However, I'm putting together the ancillaries on the intake side and I'm noticing some threaded holes that I can't seem to find a part for.

Two of them are directly underneath the intake manifold and the one on the right actually sits underneath the belt tensioner bracket when it's installed. There is also another threaded hole and a locating hole on the timing cover, below the hole the bracket screws into.

Two pictures: one of the holes, one with the bracket installed to show how it covers two.

I'm guessing these are just left over from another configuration of the engine, but I'd rather figure it out now then later after I've put it all together.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I can't remember anything that goes into those two holes on the top.

The ones on the bottom are the ones for the intermediate shaft bearing/lower alternator bracket. One bolt goes into the timing cover where you have a circle the other two go into the block and there is at least one (maybe two) guide pins as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops! The second picture has the wrong hole circled, it's actually covered by the alternator bracket.

I installed the bracket today as I'm waiting on some parts to come in still and figure it's easy to remove if needed. On the timing cover there is a hole for the guide pin on the bracket, but it's right next to a threaded hole, which is odd.

If anyone has pictures of that side of the engine it would be extremely helpful. I took pictures of every other angle I could think of when I pulled the engine out, but apparently missed this one. Doh!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, does anyone know the required torque on the intermediate shaft/lower alternator bracket bolts?

The WIS states 34 Ft/Lbs, but I broke one of the bolts and visibly stretched the other two trying to get to that number. Under the generic tightening torques section it lists a bolt that size at a 15 ft/lbs, which seems more reasonable.

Anyone have experience here?

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
34 lb. ft. might be the value for the lower alternator bolt, but that sounds way too high for the bolts that hold the bracket onto the engine block. I want to say that pretty much every one of those M8 bolts that attach to the block or timing cover get tightened to around 27 nm, which is closer to 17.5 lb. ft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts