SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a few years since I sold my 9-5 Aero. It was a great car but was getting long in the tooth and as my daily driver and the primary 'family' car, I was not feeling overly confident in it. It ran well but I just couldn't see putting a lot of money into it maintaining it if/when the next big issue popped up.

3 years later...and I've come across a '91 C900 SPG for sale. The ad says it has over 216,000 miles. Photos aren't great at showing the whole car so it's hard to get a good sense of how solid it is. They do say there is some rust in a few areas but that it's early enough to be correctable.

I know there are other issues and some wear on the car but I'm still intrigued. Am I crazy to think about buying it? This would not be a primary car in our fleet, but rather a hobby car. I'm OK when it comes to mechanical work. Not a genius, but I can usually figure things out and can wrench on my own. Paint and rust...not really my thing but I can pay to have that done.

I'm rambling now, just not sure if I should jump on this or let it go. Are parts hard to find? I've read both, that they are out there and not hard to find...I also have read that they ARE hard to find. I haven't gone looking since I don't know what i'd need.

thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
The LAST thing I would be concerned about in a c900 is the engine. 1) They're stout, 2) Virtually every part is readily available, 3) You can even find full replacement engines still. The difficulty with c900s is 60% cosmetic condition (because none of that stuff is available), 30% transmission condition (hard to find, big $$$), and 10% electrical stuff (most stuff is NLA, but there is usually some workaround or option). I bought my '85 in 2010 with 238k on it... in 10 years and 20k miles, the engine's health hasn't even been on the radar. Until I almost ruined it. But only almost. It survived no worse for the wear. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts