SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I did the short belt mod today ('95 900 SEt), hoping to track down and rid myself of a engine-rev-related whirring sound. While doing the mod, I removed and re-packed the tensioner pulley bearing (successfully, I think). It was fairly dry.

But I noticed when spinning various pulleys that my alternator does make a tick-tick-tick when its pulley is rotated, and I think that must be the cause of the whirring.

Just on a bare description like that, does this sound more like a bearing going away, or perhaps brushes needing replacement?

Many thanks,
David
Cleveland

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Test by running the engine(10 seconds or less) with the tension arm locked "off"and the belt not moving.

Then try it at normal tension, you may find that the alternator bearings are about shot ....
But, IMO, a slight tick-tick- from the alternator is normal..
Alternator brushes are nigh noiseless..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, thanks. I've done the engine running with a loosened belt, and got a quiet engine that way. I definitely get a tick--can feel it as well as hear it--when rotating the alternator pully by hand, and it's more than just barely perceptible.

So I suppose lining up a new alternator is the way to go. From what I can tell from searches of this board, replacing or repacking pulley bearings on the alternator is not a possibility.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There are people who do this for a living, find them in the yellow pages if you are lucky.
These men can probably rebuild a generator blindfolded..
After their business is really built up, they no longer advertise(no reason to)..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts