SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my idler pulley, tensioner, water pump and power steering pump. While I am at it I might as well do the alternator. I was looking for some pics but all the previous links are dead. Anyone have a good sight with some pics that actually work?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Most of the links are about how "not to change an alternator." Your best bet is to do the following and hope the allen bolts don't break or strip:

1. Drive the car up a pair of ramps.

2. Disconnect the neg and pos battery cables. Then disconnect the pos cable from the alternator, then the other smaller cables.

3. Get under the car and spray the threads of the two bolts that hold the alternator. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Also spray the 3 downpipe nuts on the turbo and the 2 muffler camp bolts from below.

4. Find an 8-mm allen wrench that fits securely into the allen bolts. If the one you have is too long, cut it shorter with a die grinder ($19.99 at Harbor Freight). Use a length of metal pipe for additional leverage. Loosen both bolts while pressing the allen wrench into the bolts so the head doesn't strip.

5. Remove the bolts and get back under the car.

6. Use a flat-bladed screw driver and pry the 2 metal spacers back into the alternator bracket.

7. Remove the down pipe if equipped.

8. Remove the alternator from below.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ron's suggestions are good.

I think I have a print-out of PMIs write-up. If I can find it, I will scan it and post or e-mail it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...Thanks for the excellent replies (write up) and lms thanks for the link to your website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts