SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I replaced the regulator/brushes on my wife's 92 9000. Since then when you start it the voltage reads about 8 amps. After about 5 minutes its up to 13.4 amps. I'm wondering if I got a bad regulator OR if the diode in the alternator is bad. I REALLY do not want to have to do the alternator because I've heard its the hardest job you can do on a 9000. :eek:

Recently, the car has started stalling and slow cranking on restart. So, what is the deciding factor on whether to replace the bushes or the whole alternator all together?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
By the way, they're volts not amps that you're measuring. Certainly that's lower than you want and if you're reporting slow cranking then it sounds like it's either the battery that isn't holding charge, you have some small current drain or the alternator isn't charging.

Trying an alternate battery is one option and the least effort but if it's still the regulator/diode pack then it's not going to fix the problem. Any good battery vendor should be able to quickly test the battery by applying a load and measuring the response.

David.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just brought my altenator in to get it rebuilt by a rebuild guy. He "charged" me :lol:, $125 Canadian, (about $60 pounds I think) and a one year warranty. I am happier than a pig in ****! The other places I called were quoting $300 and up for a rebuilt one.

If the altenator is the hardest thing to replace on the 9000... I am laughing. It took me about 30 minutes to get out. :cool:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
djtaylor said:
By the way, they're volts not amps that you're measuring.
Sorry, I misspoke, I knew it was volts. The battery is two months old and the regulator is about 6 months old. Thats why I think its the alternator

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Hmm, thing is, the alternator itself is pretty simple. To be honest for the amount of hassle you might spend on trying things, I think I'd be inclined to take it to an auto electrician and ask for them to test the alternator. You can still take the car away and remove it and hand it over for recon if you wish.

My alternator died a while back, literally one day, the brushes gave up and the charge light came on.

By the time I had taken it off and go the belt off, I figured I might as well continue and do the timing chain, sprockets and head gasket all at the same time and refit with new belt and pulleys too (and sundry other new bits).

Very sweet result but an expensive alternator overhaul! :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts