SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me advice on replacing my '91 900's alternator? So far I have had to replace the mounting bracket and can figure out how to get the freakin thing back on! The bolt that attaches the alternator to the mounting bracket is killing me. HELP!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i started off trying that, but am having trouble reaching the bolts-the alt. gets in the way.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
(1) Insert the long bolt into the alt. bracket, but without the alt.

(2) Attach the bracket to the engine block with the bottom hex-head bolt. Finger-tighten this bolt, then rotate the bracket as far as it will go counter-clockwise. Tighten the lower bolt just a little more than finger-tight.

(3) Pull the long alt. bolt towards the firewall as far as it will go. Wiggle the alt. into position in the bracket, and slide bolt through alt.

(4) Rotate alt. clockwise until you can insert the LH hex bolt. (You may need to tap the alt. or its bracket with a hammer and drift to accomplish this.) This rotation will automatially tighten the lower hex bolt, which is now inaccessible to tools.

Tighten the LH hex bolt. Install washer and nut on end of long alt. mounting bolt, and tighten (on my car, the nut & bolt are both 16 mm, which is a perfect fit for a 5/8 inch wrench).

(5) Install top 12 mm bolt in bracket (but refit A/C compressor first if you have one).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts