SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'01 9-5 wagon trying to do the alternator, i know the bolts are 8mm, pb blaster has been soaking them for a good hour or so trying to figure out a way to get it out..well im going to try an air ratchet now on the bolts because there is absolutely no room to move my knuckles. ill check back here later for some tips, im going to try and remove it between the subframe and oil pan on the bottom, hopefully that will turn out for the better. :eek:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
This was among the worst jobs I've ever done on a car....

You're going to need a little special tool to help get that bolt out. There's not enough toom for a socket bit, so cut off about an inch-long piece of a hex wrench, and inser that into the boul, then turn it with a box wrench or -- preferably -- a flat ratchet wrench.

You might find it easier to remove the alternator, then loosen and remove the alternator bracket and lift it out of the way, leaving the alternator loose and sitting on the driveshaft. This gives you a little wiggle room.

Loosen the rear engine mount and take the top mount off, if you haven't done this already. Loosen the side of the subframe by loosening two of the rearmost bolts.

You're going to need a way to push the engine forward slightly. I used a small bottle jack placed between the firewall and the left side of the engine just above the tensioner location

With all this done, the fun begins. You're going to need to pry down the subframe slightly while wiggling the alternator out.

Take a little time to yourself, cry, kick the dog, then start refitting the alternator....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there any way to get the alternator out from the top of the motor without having to remove the intake manifold? i have the motor mount off and the drivers side loosened up but my bottle jack does not push the motor sideways ebcause the hyrdaulic fluid doesnt work when its turned sideways. (stupid) and so i cant get it out from the bottom.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
gytre1 said:
is there any way to get the alternator out from the top of the motor without having to remove the intake manifold? i have the motor mount off and the drivers side loosened up but my bottle jack does not push the motor sideways ebcause the hyrdaulic fluid doesnt work when its turned sideways. (stupid) and so i cant get it out from the bottom.
I dropped mine out the bottom by simply moving the exaust pipe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Remove the tensioner, the idler pulley, the alternator braceket and jack the engine up all the way up, then you'll have just enough room to twist and turn the alternator out. Try to get the alternator pulley off for more room if needed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
waynlewis said:
Remove the tensioner, the idler pulley, the alternator braceket and jack the engine up all the way up, then you'll have just enough room to twist and turn the alternator out. Try to get the alternator pulley off for more room if needed.
the tennsioner pulley only has one 8mm bolt holding it on right? and it wont spring back and hit me in the face? lol and what is the alternator bracket held on with? ive got the alternator sitting on the drive axle below it, and you're talking about bringing it through the top correct?

·
Registered
96 Posts
yeah, out through the top. Use an 1/2" drive w/extension and rotate the tensioner clockwise(pull towards front of car) and using a small hex wrench, slide it through the hole on the tensioner to lock it in place. I think the hole may be on the backside of the tensioner. If the alternator is on the drive axle you don't need to remove the bracket then, I just removed it for more room. I think there are 3 bolts holding it in place and 1 is below the intake manifold.

Hope you don't get smacked in the face...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
waynlewis said:
yeah, out through the top. Use an 1/2" drive w/extension and rotate the tensioner clockwise(pull towards front of car) and using a small hex wrench, slide it through the hole on the tensioner to lock it in place. I think the hole may be on the backside of the tensioner. If the alternator is on the drive axle you don't need to remove the bracket then, I just removed it for more room. I think there are 3 bolts holding it in place and 1 is below the intake manifold.

Hope you don't get smacked in the face...
ok so i dont need to do anything with the subframe? because apparently everyone elses car is held together with bolts and mines welded together. SO i cant unbolt that and move it over or pry it down to get the alt. out. so all i need to do is undo both engine mounts and jack it as far as i need to pull the alternator out? sounds like i should have done that first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts