SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the alternator in my 1990 Saab 900 is starting to show signs of failure so I ordered a remanufactured one from USA (parts from the the states tend to be a bit cheaper than sourcing parts from NZ, even with shipping costs). Anyway, first one arrived damaged - and with enough damage to warrant getting a replacement. Second one has just arrived and there is some minor damage, but I dont know how critical it is. I also don't know if the damage might be something that may not appear as an issue straight away but instead fail on me a few months down the track. I've attached a photo and identified the damaged bit (red ink). Can anyone tell me what this bit is (and what it does) and whether the knock it has taken may be an issue - or whether it is nothing to worry about? Its hard to tell in the photo, but in addition to the obvious chip and crack, it is dented in a bit as well. Thanks in advance
Saab alternator damage_marked up.jpg
!

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Steve , the part highlighted is the regulator/brush pack . It contains electronics (regulator) and the actual brushes that contact the Commutator of the Alternator .
I would be concerned that cracks in the casing could allow moisture ingress in time .
These brush packs packs can be removed and replaced very easily and very cheaply , It may be a cheap option for you to just exchange that pack with the supplier , if they are willing to go that way . It may even just be cheapar for you to get another pack on EBAY as opposed shipment costs for returning complete alternator to the states .
The link below is just a sample

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aussie900 - much appreciated. I will let the supplier know and they may even post this replacement part at no additional cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts