SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What battery should be in the car to begin with? 2003 Saab og9-3 Se HOT 5 speed vert

I replaced my alternator that I believe was a 120 amp, with a 140 amp, does it matter? Could that be why when I hold the 4 window/roof switch for vert top to put windows up or when I put roof down or up, the car dies down a bit and lights go dim until I let go. I have checked all the grounds, and I have done a battery, starting and alternator test. Seems to be charging at 14.0 volts and when I put loads on it will stay 14.0 volts, but I noticed while driving, volt meter will drop to 13.8 when fan kicks on. I have replaced window/roof switch unit and I have replaced fan resistor, with no positive out come.

I only went with a 140 amp, figuring it would be better for my sub woofer and amp. I also have an amp capacitor for sub woofer and amp displaying 14.0 volts and drops down to 13.0 to 13.5 volts when bass is turn up and hits, yes I understand the sub woofer is pulling power when it hits deep bass, reason for voltage drop.
But what about the other issues?

Thank for any leads

·
Registered
18,042 Posts
140 amp is the best. I've never figured out the parts puzzle on that but I assumed the heavily optioned 'verts always had the 140. However, I think I ended up with the 130 on my engine swap (not 100% sure) but I detect no change for the better or worse. Not sure where the label is on those.

It's normal for a slight dip when doing the 4 windows. I usually step the revs up to about 1500 when I close the roof and then again when I put all the windows up at once. Been doing that since my NG900 days (electric roof, it was even more demanding).

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
That drop is due to a slightly slow charge controller in alternator. There is no fault.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts