SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my alt rebuilt and am now paying the devil to get the belts back in place. Is there something simple I'm missing or is it really as much trouble as I'm having? I can't find any tensioner other than the one on the alternator and I'm ready to cut the belts off and replace them with longer ones, but the belts are the ones that were there originally so it seems they should slip into place.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Randy

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
randroid said:
I had my alt rebuilt and am now paying the devil to get the belts back in place. Is there something simple I'm missing or is it really as much trouble as I'm having? I can't find any tensioner other than the one on the alternator and I'm ready to cut the belts off and replace them with longer ones, but the belts are the ones that were there originally so it seems they should slip into place.
Did this a week ago. Yep, it was tricky, but doable in the end.

If you've got aircon, get the compressor out the way. Ignore the torx bolt heads, undo the nuts on the inside of the bracket.

Slacken the alternator adjuster RIGHT off.
Slacken the lower through bolt, and the big nut on the adjuster bracket on the alt itself. The alternator should move easily.

Leave the outer belt hanging loose from the crank pulley and ignore it. It won't go anywhere, because of the PS belt. Put the inner belt in THE INNER groove. <ahem, sheepish>
Put the inner belt over the water pump pulley's inner groove.
Now pull the belt tight with your right hand, and with your left hand move the alternator as far in as it'll go. The belt will fit. It will. Make sure it's on the inner groove.
Repeat with the outer belt.
Realise WHY I put all those inner groove reminders in there, and move the inner belt to the inner grooves on the crank pulley.
Tension. No, not that tight.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You don't have to back the tensioner bolt all the way off. You can go just far enough so that it clears the 'fingers' on the pinch-bolt, then loosen the pinch-bolt and take the pinch-bolt out of the way.

Another helper for me is to have a block of wood and a pry-bar. I put the block of wood against the fender (under the brake master cylinder) then pry the alternator away from me, the block of wood is there for the pry-bar to have something to push against. You can pry it as far as possible, then put the pinch-bolt back in to hold it there while you try the belts again.

I felt the same way. They'll fit!

-TH

·
Registered
716 Posts
What Goge says is the easy way to do the job. In fact you do not need to touch the adjuster nut. Just remove the pinch bolt. Loosen alternator bolts and wedge alternator toward engine. That way gives you the slack to get the belts over the pulleys.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
RickyS said:
What Goge says is the easy way to do the job. In fact you do not need to touch the adjuster nut. Just remove the pinch bolt. Loosen alternator bolts and wedge alternator toward engine. That way gives you the slack to get the belts over the pulleys.
I'll try to remember that...

But if you're replacing the belts, you'd need to be adjusting the tension afterwards anyway.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Loosen the tensioner bolt, remove the 16 mm (17 mm on some cars) lock nut on the tensioner and remove it completely. Remove the water pump pulley (four 10 mm screws), swap the belts, reinstall the water pump pulley, tension the belts, tighten the 16 mm lock nut.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mystery Solved!

Gents,

First, thank you all for your timely and informative information. Second, the mystery has been solved.

Simply put, some PO (Previous Owner - it's an expression used in a forum for my '48 Plymouth and assume it's used here) installed the wrong belts. How or why he got them installed is beyond me, but it expalins not only my difficulty reinstalling them but why the alt bearings wore out. They get replaced today with a pair that are usable.

Thanks again for your input.

-Randy

·
Registered
141 Posts
Forget what I said! There's no freakin' way they'll fit!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gents,

To settle matters, the belts I removed were SAAB 7511728, and the ones I got from Auto Zone this morning are Duralast 15390 (unfortunately the best I could find). The new belts measured fully an inch more in length and went on smooth as a baby's butt.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

-Randy

·
Registered
141 Posts
Congrats on a job well done! Your Saab thanks you.

·
Registered
888 Posts
This job is not fun. The only time my Saab has given me trouble was the night I had to walk home at 1 in the morning because (i thought) the alternator had died. The next morning I discovered that when I had replaced the belts some weeks earlier, I did not tighten the pinch bolt on the alternator. The nut fell off, the bolt fell out and the belt lost the tension. And it was all my fault. Double check to make sure everything is tight when you are done. Don't make the mistake I made.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
gut the a/c :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts