SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

alrighty, i went to start my car the other day and it was completly dead after i just drove it about 30mins before hand. I boosted it, it started fine, drove it around, parked it, and then went to go start it again about 15mins later, dead again! ;oops: i boosted it again, it was fine then it died again after shuting it off. I just changed my battery in January. So im guessing alternator. Now my question is, will an alternator from an '86 T16 work for my '89 LPT? And since ive never changed or dissmanteled one before, how long should it take and how hard is it to change one?

Secondly, are the wires from my '89 LPT (was originally an n/a and still has most n/a components such as the ECU), match exactly those from the '86 T16's ECU? As in the color codes of the wires between the 2 ECU's? My haynes book doesnt tell me very much...I'm wanting to swap them but the connectors are different sizes. Should i hire a professional to do this swap or is it easy enough to do on my own? I don't want to mess anything up, this is a little more tricky than most things ive changed or fixed on the car!

thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
The alternator from the '86 will work in your '89. I have seen on the forum here that changing the alternator takes a bit of patience due to the clearance, or lack thereof. I changed mine when the engine was out of the car so I lucked out :cheesy:.

As for the ECU, I would say that the wires are different between the years for the ECU. You will want to get the correct year ECU. Perhaps someone else will reply as well to this one. I've read of people using different year ECUs on this forum, but they had to rewire certain items like the AMM to do so.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oyster said:
As for the ECU, I would say that the wires are different between the years for the ECU. You will want to get the correct year ECU. Perhaps someone else will reply as well to this one. I've read of people using different year ECUs on this forum, but they had to rewire certain items like the AMM to do so.

i was reading a thread on that, and turns out their car idled better than ever! But i was confused with the whole process...anyone have an '89 T16 ECU laying around they want to sell? :D And as for the alternator, it looked like a tight fit, but looks doable :confused: Ill probably give it a go, i really need to save though, so i don't want to hire anyone to do it for me.

thanks!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I would check the ground wire on the alternator before I replaced it. It is mounted on rubber mounts so it has a ground wire running from it to the fender or engine block, often the ground will get broken or disconected/corroded etc and then the alternator will stop charging. I would check that first, and if its not that then you might consider new brushes, I've never replaced mine but I've heard its a fairly drop in procedure. You might try a search on the subject.
But check the ground wire first, maybe you will get lucky. :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was just reading on new brushes, not sure how to replace it yet, but sounds simple, id have to look at it! and ill check the ground...im hopeing its that!!

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts