SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after buying a used replacement seat belt and having it get locked up again like the last one, I'm really wanting a more reliable option. Really don't feel like spending $70-$100 every time one of my used seat belts go bad. Wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't so hard to find an ng900 or og9-3 convertible in any of the local junk yards. I'm just wondering if there's any universal seat belt I could replace mine with or if that's just an unattainable dream.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I'm surprised this has been an issue. I've not ever had a seat belt reel in a Saab break, nor read much about it on various forums.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm surprised this has been an issue. I've not ever had a seat belt reel in a Saab break, nor read much about it on various forums.
Yeah I may just be unlucky. They broke in the exact same way but nothing seems to cause it apart from just regular use wearing out the tiny plastic contraption.

·
Registered
2000 93 SE Vert Auto : 2001 93 SE Vert Manual
58 Posts
I have had mine go bad and live in perpetual terror of having it happen again. My eBay replacement and the original lock(ed) easily during braking or hard cornering and I know it is just a matter of time before I am in the market again. When the first one went bad I undid the seat belt from the floor connector so that I could put it over my shoulder so that it looked as if I had on a seat belt.

One thing I have learned is that when the seat belt locks I need to wait until I am either stopped or accelerating to get it to unlock. Trying to get it it unlock when braking is how I think I killed the first one.

When it goes bad again I might try to find one of the old manual adjustment shoulder seat belts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it goes bad again I might try to find one of the old manual adjustment shoulder seat belts.
Is this something the c900s have? And if so could they be swapped? I guess the biggest issue is the electrical connector involved.

I know I've seen a thread where someone fixed it themselves. Last time I tried fixing it but ended up screwing up the tensioner, and just ripped the whole locking mechanism out so it would at least look like I had a functioning seat belt. I would even buy a brand new one if I could since it would probably last the lifetime of my car. Buying a used one I'm still dealing with 20+ year old brittle plastic that's bound to snap at some point.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Saabs have had inertia reels since the '70s. You wouldn't find a Swedish brand offering substandard safety features!

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,726 Posts
It is possible to fix the drivers seatbelt - I have done it - by replacing the plastic little arm that breaks with a little metal dowel - if you are handy I could probably walk you through it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is possible to fix the drivers seatbelt - I have done it - by replacing the plastic little arm that breaks with a little metal dowel - if you are handy I could probably walk you through it.
I actually did that just the other day. I actually did manage to find a replacement though. When I went to the junkyard to pull parts from other cars, a guy walked up to me saying he had a car just like mine in his back yard if I wanted any parts off it. So once I replaced the old one I figured I might as well fix it. The little plastic arm on mine wasn't actually fully broken off yet, so I just reinforced what was there. I pushed it back into place and lined the end of a paperclip up with the little arm. Then I touched a soldering iron to it, melting it into the arm. When I felt comfortable with that, I then dropped some super glue over it all for good measure. Honestly I feel it's stronger now than it ever was.

Even though I don't need it, it's reassuring to know I have it.

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,726 Posts
I actually did that just the other day. I actually did manage to find a replacement though. When I went to the junkyard to pull parts from other cars, a guy walked up to me saying he had a car just like mine in his back yard if I wanted any parts off it. So once I replaced the old one I figured I might as well fix it. The little plastic arm on mine wasn't actually fully broken off yet, so I just reinforced what was there. I pushed it back into place and lined the end of a paperclip up with the little arm. Then I touched a soldering iron to it, melting it into the arm. When I felt comfortable with that, I then dropped some super glue over it all for good measure. Honestly I feel it's stronger now than it ever was.

Even though I don't need it, it's reassuring to know I have it.
I like this idea - I will do that next time - I was drilling a small hole and inserting a tiny drillbit in then epoxying it in!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts