SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clutch doesn't disengage properly. Sometimes it works pretty well at other times gears can't be changed. The pedal dosen't come back up all the way. Sometimes it sticks to the floor. It usually helps to pump a couple of times.

The previous owner changed both the slave and master cylinders. I have rebuilt the master cylinder. I have also pressure bled the system numerous times. The effect of this was usually good in the beginning but then faded. When rebuilding the master cylinder it didn't appear new and made me suspect they put in a used master when they changed it.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks
Henrik

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Symptoms are of a bad MC. The internal spring tends to bind in the bore which inhibits return of the seals.

Rebuilding these MC is generally not a good idea. If you do rebuild you need a brand new internal spring as well as the seal kit. Also, the spring often scores the bore which means the MC has to be honed as well. By the time you finish all this labour you might as well buy a new one.

Is yours an older car with the MC vertically positioned in the false bulkhead area or the newer style mounted above the clutch pedal inside the car. The earlier design is inferior to the later design. Unfortunately, this is one upgraded part that will not fit older SAABs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the help. It's a 9000CS -92 with the MC inside the car. When I rebuilt the MC I only put in new seals so the spring could be faulty. Hmm, I guess I'll just get a new one and see if it makes any difference.

/Henrik

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The MC on my 97 Aero is original and has 190,000 km on it. This is in contrast to the 86 which can't seem to go more than about 90,000 km before it needs a new MC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts