SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched extensively & all the info has been great, but I'm still confused.
I have an alpine 9885 with ipod connector and steering wheel controls. I have also purchased the mounting kit for the 9-5.The mounting kit comes with two harnesses, but neither fit the rear connection of the alpine.
1) So, do I have to use the harness that comes from the back of the alpine and clip the connector off of the harness that came with the kit, then wire them together?
2) Will I need to splice both harnesses supplied with the kit to the alpine wire harness to get it to work?
3) ThenI should be able to just use the RCA trick to connect it to the amp in the car?
4) Are there any electrical connectors that I can use to fit into Saab wiring harness. This would prevent me having to cut the connector off and would make things look nicer?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
You splice the Alpine wires to the wires from the Saab kit. The Saab kit then plugs in in place of the factory headunit wiring, and ergo it powers the Alpine headunit without cutting any connectors. Match the colors.... yellow to yellow, red to red, black to black.

Leave all of the Alpine speaker ouputs disconnected and tied/taped off safely to the side (i.e. white/whiteblack, green/greenblack, purple and grey)... instead you use the RCA trick as described in the other threads... connect + to the RCA center pole, and - to the RCA shield. Those will likely correspond to some colored wires on your Saab wiring kit, so you shouldn't have to tap into the factory wiring harness either.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, thanks for the quick reply. I will try to take a closer look at it when I get home & hopefully that will do the trick. I can't recall right now, but i do believe that the wires that came with the installation kit are all the same color. can't remember? Do I even need the wiring harnesses that came wit the kit? Or can I wire ti directly the the car's existing harness?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I was right. The harnesses that came wit the kit are all the same color. I need to find a pin out guide. Where can I find one?

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
deanomyte said:
Yep I was right. The harnesses that came wit the kit are all the same color. I need to find a pin out guide. Where can I find one?
Check this out

It may have what you are looking for.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen this, but havew yet to dig into the audio system. This is why I haven't posted anything else on this. I hope to have this sorted out by the end of this weekend.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problems!!!

Okay, I tryed installing the new headunit, but couldn't get any power to the thing. I double check that the wiring was hooked up correctly, but nothing worked. Can anyone give me any input?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the uninformative post earlier, but I was really fristrated. Here is what I have done so far. I hooked the Alpines's audio interupt (pink/ black wire( to the factory pin # 6, I hooked the red ignition wore to factory pin # 2, I hooked the yellow wire to factory pin #8, and the gound to factory pin #4. I also hooked up the rca's to pins 13,14,15,&16 for the speakers.

I am still not getting power??????????
The only thing that I was not able to hook up was the antenna adapter, because I didn't have one, but that shouldn't stop me from getting power?

As noted in earlier posts I think that I have evertything needed to do this install I have the install kit from parts for saabs which came with the cage and two wiring harnesses. By only having two harnesses I am losing one entire section of pinouts to the factory location, losing pins (26-17). there was no harness supplied for in the kit. Should I have a harness for those pins?

In the pin out diagram seen here http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml#head should I be interpreting this pin out view as the back of the old stereo, or as the the slots for the new wiring harness to plug into ie. tap into the main harness of the car. I interpreted the pin out as if I was looking at the main harness after taking out the old stereo.

There has to be a simple fix to this, I have installed many stereos, but this one has been the most dificult to date.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
come on there aren't any car audio gurus learking around this forum. Please help me figure this out, so I don't have to take it to a car audio install place to get rapped!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Some headunits ground through the antenna, so that would be my first guess. If you want to test that, try taking a ground lead and touching it to the side of the antenna hole in your Alpine headunit.

Also note that while you connected the RCAs to 13, 14, 15 and 16, you will get a lot of noise if you don't connect the RCA shields to 9, 10, 11, and 12 as well.

You do not need 17-26.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I will try to get an antenna adapter very soon. Hopefully that will solve all of my problems. I will also take you up on connecting the RCA shields. I will reply back soon, and let you know if this works out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After, much searching on the subject I think that you are right. Thanks for the help guys. I will be taking another swing at this project tomorrow.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, here's an update. I got the alpine antenna adapter which I was missing and checked the fuse at the back of the radio. I found that the fuse was blown, that means that the alpines DO ground out from the radio antenna. That doesn't mean that you don't have to hook the ground wire to tthe correct pin out though.
I NOW HAVE POWER TO THE RADIO!!!! YAY!!!
Problem 2 is that now that I have the power situation solved I am not gettting any sound to come out of the speakers. I did hook up all of the + leads using the RCA trick. Do I have to hook up the - leads as well to get them to work?

I am almost there, just a little more guidance and I will be finished.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys, I am still puzzled about why I am not getting any sound out of my speakers. I did the Rca trick, but I am still not getting anything from the speakers. Could it be that I taped into the wiring harness at the back of the stereo instead of by the amp?

I need help, I am trying to finish this before a long road trip anf I really want to use my Ipod.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please help me I completely puzzled!!!!

I have connected all of my wires successfully. I have the HU turning on, but no sound coming from the speakers. I have connected both the RCA's & their respective shields as instructed by stipud, but I still have no sound. DO I need to ditch this idea, and use a line level converter?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
You won't get any sound unless the amplifier is turning on... You must have the Alpine remote wire connected to pin 7. Be careful, because there is also an ANTENNA remote wire that you don't want to use. If you do, then the amp will only turn on when you are listening to the radio.

Just to confirm, you have your RCAs set up like this:
Front Red Pole: 14
Front Red Shield: 10
Front White Pole: 15
Front White Shield: 11
Rear Red Pole: 13
Rear Red Shield: 9
Rear White Pole: 16
Rear White Shield: 12

Of course all of this will only work if you have an AS2 or AS3 system to begin with. I haven't heard of any AS1 setups in North America though...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Also no aftermarket radio grounds through its antenna. well they do because the antenna sheild is grounded and the sheild connector on the radio is connected to ground but not for this purpose. make sure you use a good grounding point either from the factory harness or from the vehicles chassis if you just ground through the antenna you will get bad am reception and overheating due to resistance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
And yes you will need to hook up your blue and white wire from your alpine to the corresponding wire on the harness your received.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts