SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that you don't all know the link, but here it is. I think my stock bushings could use replacement, and these could be a good upgrade. They certainly would be holding to my upgrade-as you repair theory of my car.

Anyone have these in their cars yet? I assume they'd be significantly stiffer than poly bushings. Maybe too much? I mean I trust MP to make good products, but they are described as "intended for racing performance." Although I may have high ambitions, my kidneys and fillings in my teeth do not.

I'll be calling Chris Monday to chat about these. So if nobody posts much, at least I can post back with what he had to say in case other people are interested as well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
have you ever felt poly bushings? Even poly is very stiff, however it does have some "give".

If the car is purley and auto cross or track car then these aluminum bushings are great.

However for road use having these aluminum bushings worrys me, because there will be absolutley no "give" to them. thats the purpose of poly very stiff but just that little bit of "give" that might save some stuff from bending

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
With poly bushings, there's definitely more road feel and vibration. I can't imagine what these would feel like. Maybe for a dedicated track car....

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I saw those for the first time today and thought the same thing! Whoa, my *** would hurt. Definately looks like they would be for serious autocrossing. Maybe they could develop a blended bushing. Poly on the outside with a stiff metal core!

Tboy

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
stromer,

I'm ordering some replacement (teak is the brand?) control arm bushings in the next few weeks for my 99 9-3se -- And I live in Maine as well.

Perhaps we can have a control arm replacement party?

;)

peace,
bny

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brewtide said:
stromer,

I'm ordering some replacement (teak is the brand?) control arm bushings in the next few weeks for my 99 9-3se -- And I live in Maine as well.

Perhaps we can have a control arm replacement party?

;)

peace,
bny
so you mean direct replacement? no poly or anything?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The control arms are pretty easy to put in, but the bushings are another story! :evil: If you have the money, the pre-installed bushing and control arm assemblies from Genuinesaab.com are a nice combo....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
A vice and some soapy water help when installing the bushings. The hard part is getting the old ones out. On the end where the control arm attaches to the subframe, that bushing is really difficult. I had to take a drill and drill tons of holes into the bushing so I could tear it apart and out. Same thing with the other bushing.. I had to take an impact hammer and work at it awhile to get it out. Not a really easy job :(

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So since this seems like a pretty big job, are these particular bushings likely to be actually worn? I know some are weaker than others typically, so how do these ones far in people's experiences?

·
12,576 Posts
I would like you all to consider something about the bush being offered there, what will it make worse about comfort exactly?, you still have a bush at the other ends of the arms, as long as you don't put track bushes in here too then so what? I draw my angle on this from how the lower wishbones look on a Cavalier [donor chassis, remember] it is a single piece pressed steel wishbone, rather than this two piece assembly that Saab have produced, the steel Cav' part is cheaper and a bit heavier but it does not have that link bush and has no adverse comfort, so go for it I say, you're taking the new900 chassis back to where it came from, I fancy making my own, I was considering turning some PTFE ones for the same place.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
ragtopcav said:
I draw my angle on this from how the lower wishbones look on a Cavalier [donor chassis, remember] it is a single piece pressed steel wishbone, rather than this two piece assembly that Saab have produced, the steel Cav' part is cheaper and a bit heavier but it does not have that link bush and has no adverse comfort, so go for it I say, you're taking the new900 chassis back to where it came from,
I would agree. Remember those pressed steel wishbones also often have the lower ball joint riveted into them. It is often the case that the rivets are drilled out and a new ball joint bolted in place if the original fails. So really very very simillar to the saab idea of the contained lower arm. Although you are unable to just replace the joint on the saabs.

As a point of interest. If you fitted the alloy bush how does it stay in place? Is it pressed in with some sought of 'O' ring or is it just ever so oversize???? and the press is literally to force it in.

Dead

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Out of curiousity:

How did the Cavalier handle? :lol:

And what suspension is the Vectra using these days?

And what's on that sweet VX220 that we can't get here in the states? :evil:

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
I'm in a never ending search for a comfier car that still handles well. I just don't think this is the way to go...:roll::cheesy:

·
12,576 Posts
mike saunders said:
Out of curiousity:

Better than you'd think, same chassis archetecture/geometry as our 900's but weighing quite a bit less in some case [We'll ignore the Cav's with true fully independent rear suspension becuase really can run rings around us] I got my old one running really good just by changing the rear bushes to poly and uprated rear dampers. [ the dampers are now on the 900]
Which Vectra exactly?
Little history...

Cavalier III = Opel Vectra A; this car is the 'donor' chassis for the new900, when the cav III finishes its run the name is dropped for the pan Europe [and therefore meaningless] Vectra name.

Vectra B; this car is the donor chassis for the Saab 9-5.

Vectra C; Epsilon chassis, fundementally the same as a 9-3ss, Saab deviated heavily on certain aspects of chassis engineering and there input in design was from the start, the first proper Saab for a long time [imho]

I thought the pel Speedster? was available in the US [same car as the Vx220]

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
mike saunders said:
Out of curiousity:

The old Cav handled very well. I had an SRi 130 in metallic miudnight blue. Sweeeet car same tranny as our saabs.

The Vectra all the way upto 2002 used the same wishbonnes as above. The new Vectra that shares the same floorpan ect with the new 93. Has now moved to a single piece alloy casting. That in some respects is more akin to our cars.

As you see its a single casting again with integral ball joints. Only now more like our 90's design that are not repairable. I bet these arms are not £25 each.

Dead

·
12,576 Posts
That picture more or less tells us that a solid link is good thing to try, nice one Dead' ;)

Also look at the ARB assembly and some other details, very much like Ford ;) Focus and now the Fiesta too.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Excellent info, gents....

I guess what we need now is for someone to do a long-term road test of these bushings...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've gotta call Chris this afternoon, if I can get ahold of him. it wouldn't be his style to sell something he hasn't tested. hopefully he'll have some good comments.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts