SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quickie - does anyone know whether 17" alloys would fit on a 9000, and if they do whether they would leave any room for a drop?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not only the offset. Backspacing is also importent, because wheels have different widths. You can also fit 18" wheels, it's no problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I've just had some 17" rims fitted to my 1997 9K CSE, they look great, :cheesy: but I'm getting a little rub on the rear :( . I trust the guys that fitted them (Elite in Rainham, Essex) and all the stats look good;

Rims
7.0 x 17
4-108
40 offset

Tyres
215/45/R17 91W

but if I go over speed bumps a bit quick or have a couple of people in the back I get a serious rub type scraping noise from the rear. Not sure why this is as most posts on this forum suggest the size above is OK.

Could my rear shocks/springs be the problem? The car has recently passed an MOT.

Cheers

Jay

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have some TSW 15" rims on my car, if I use clip on balancing weights, I get a rubbing on a the right rear tire. It rubs a rivet that holds a brake line in place. I use stick on balancing weights and I get no rubbing. Moral of the story is every mm counts. These cars don't have a lot of room for error when it comes to the wheels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Adding some spacers???

Hmmm. I have stick on weights but good advise.

I've done some further digging and it looks like I might need some spacers. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but as you increase the wheel width you should decrease the offset?

If that's the case then I think I'm fouling my suspension, only slightly though.
I'm thinking of putting some 5mm spacer on which would reduce the offset to 35

Anyone know if this sounds like the right thing to do??

Cheers

Jay

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Loads of good info here!
Realistically you should buy wheels which don't need spacers....I have 2 sets of 17" one set 7J and the other 7.5J I run 225/45/17 on the 7J set and 235/40/17 on the 7.5 J. No rubbing even when fully loaded or bottomed out after leaving the road.
Spacers are not a good idea IMO but if you do ensure you get longer wheel bolts to match spacer thickness.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The wider the oem saab wheels get the lower the et is, ie, swirleys are 33, super aero's are 28, i've had a few sets of alloys on my 9k, i know with 16x7 et35 you get a rub on the rear bottom suspesion arm, it is on the handbrake cable support, if you move this it will be fine but as i've never tried it with 17x7's and your et40 i cant say if it will work for you! et40 is far to high! the ideal et for 17's is about 25 to 30, i now have a set of 17x7.5 et 35 rims on my car with 10mm spacers and they fit like a glove! i put the car on axle stands, jacked the rear wheel up fully into the arch with the handbrake off, then spun the wheel while having a look from all angles, loads of room with no rubbing! this is only with 205 40 17 tyres on but with all the space i've got i'm going to fit 235 40 17's, ylee's running that size and says he's having no probs! when i bought my rims they had 10mm spacers with them that are the exact ones for a 9k! it was just luck really! i've had to get wheel bolts 10mm over size (10mm longer) but found a place on ebay that sells spacers and bolt sets for all cars so i'l put the link on here for you when i get time! i think 10mm spacers is your answer! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks guys. Now, would I be able to get away with only putting the spacers on the rear, or would I have to do all 4 wheels?

Reason I ask is that I don't get any rub on the front and I wouldn't want to introduce another problem.

Cheers

Jay

·
Registered
128 Posts
Marrk said:
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Loads of good info here!
Realistically you should buy wheels which don't need spacers....I have 2 sets of 17" one set 7J and the other 7.5J I run 225/45/17 on the 7J set and 235/40/17 on the 7.5 J. No rubbing even when fully loaded or bottomed out after leaving the road.
Spacers are not a good idea IMO but if you do ensure you get longer wheel bolts to match spacer thickness.
i agree with marrk! when i bought this last set of rims i was going to fit them without the spacers (i've moved handbrake support) i got them second hand off ebay cos new with tyres they are 1050 quid!! i cant pay that kind of money new for a set or i would have got et30 not 35, the main reason why i got the rims is i've got a big brake set up ready to go on my car, brembo family b calipers (ferrari f40/f50), 322mm x 32mm 2 peice disks and hats, so i needed a wheel with clearance, speedline are good motorsport wheels so you'd think the clearance would be fine ??? wrong! front of the caliper hits the spokes of the wheel!!!! lucky enough the wheels had been on a car with hubcentric spacers with a center bore of 65.1 and 10mm thick!!! just the right size! all fits well!, just got longer bolts! only use the best spacers and bolts! or none at all! :nono;

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I've just had 5mm spaces fitted all round, which according to Car Bibles (thanks Marrk, I love sites like this spent hours reading) means;

The edge of the new tyre will be 12mm closer to the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 8mm further out from the edge of the bodywork.

instead of

The edge of the new tyre will be 17mm closer to the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 3mm further out from the edge of the bodywork.

Without the spacers. This should be enough clearance but I haven't had change to load up the back with passengers or go over some speedys yet but I'll post with the results when I have. Didn't cost a lot either under £30.

Thanks for all your help guys :D

Jay

·
Registered
104 Posts
17x7.5" et35 w/225/45/17 tires on mine, no spacers. H&R springs/Bilstein HDs w/SAS poly spring pads in the rear.

Clearances are pretty much nil. Only thing you really need to do is relocate the e-brake cable bracket in the back to the inside of the trailing arm.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What wheels are these?

17x7.5" et35 w/225/45/17 tires on mine, no
. H&R springs/Bilstein HDs w/SAS poly spring pads in the rear.

Clearances are pretty much nil. Only thing you really need to do is relocate the e-brake cable bracket in the back to the inside of the trailing arm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts