SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
Just spent 8 hours removing my old air flushed fuel inlet manifold and fitting a later series one to take my Green Giant Injectors. Had to modify the fuel rail as the bolt holes are in a different place. Drove to the local indie to marry the ECU, feeling very pleased with myself.

Decided to take her out on a decent 'adaption' run when there is a major metal to metal sound and the car dies. Crank her and its the same.

Call out the AA and get a very helful mechanic. He cranks it and is of the same opinion that something is inside the engine that should not be.

It dawns on me that that Allen Key I could not find is in my engine! Removal of the spark plugs shows No. 4 is bent. A magnetic rod pulls up the end of the Allen key. Compression is zero in No.4. When I had the rubber hose off that comes from the Intercooler, I must have knocked the Key and its fallen in there. I did do a cursory check of the pipe (I usually stuff all open pipes with a rag, sod's law I didnt here) and could not find it. It must have been sucked up through the throttle body into the intake and into the valves and piston.

Now here's my question. I reckon busted valves at the least (the straight part of the Allen key is probably in there) what do you guys reckon the damage is?

Question 2, is this going to be too costly? Should I cut my loses? The car is 7 years old 66k (I have spent a fai bit recently - new clutch, Aero suspension, sump drop and the list is endless over the last 3.5 years)

Its a sad, sad day I can't believe Ive killed my Saab in such a stupid stupid way. :cry: :cry:
P

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I dropped the bolt from the bypass valve outlet down the cobra into the turbo. I heard it clinking and falling down below the car, so after spending half an hour i wrote it off as lost in my subframe somewhere. OOPS. It shredded my turbo compressor wheel up... the bolt was still there when I replaced the turbo. I keep it in a pseudo-shrine in my countertop to remind myself to be more careful now :lol:

Sounds like you are looking at doing higher stage upgrades in your car. Now might be a good time to put in some forged pistons, assuming the cylinder walls aren't irreparably damaged. Who knows, it may just be a bent valve. What kind of compression test did you do? Did you try pouring in a bit of oil to see if that fixed it? If so, it could be a piston ring.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Firstly i just wanna say it can happen to anyone, dont get angry (i know its hard not to) but somethings you just cant stop.

From your previous posts Paolo, I get the feeling you are quite competent at working on cars - so what about giving it a go yourself?? You prob need new valves and thats it, hopefully the valve broke before the allen key got anywhere near the piston, and if it did, wouldnt it have just sat on top of piston and gone up and down?

Dont give up. Fix it and then advise the rest of us with how to do so!:cheesy:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys,
The AA mechanic did the compression test, popped his reader into the spark plug hole and turned the car over. Read just under 200 on the other cylinders, zero on No.4.

The small part of the Allen Key was sitting on top of the piston, the long part he reckons wedged into the valves, hence the lack of compression. The piston did move up and down when we rocked the car in gear.
Ive just got visions of a knackered piston, linings, valves and just for good measure bits of metal ruining the exhaust wheel of my new 18T TD04.

Must say, I am pretty handy with cars, but Ive really killed my confidence now - not sure i want to tackle this one just yet.
P

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dont let it kill your confidence, i didnt even want to look at my car again after i got it stuck in the mud in Wales at the weekend;oops: But my wife said get back in and drive! And i was ok after half hour or so!

So get stuck in and fix it!!:cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thats awful news Paul, and exactly the kind of thing I'd do........;oops:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm no expert but I have done my share of wrenching over the years. I'd go with a busted valve, at worst a cracked head at the valve guide but I would think the piston has held up. Pull the head and have a look. I do feel your pain but it can be resolved and you will be smiling again. Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts