SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :)

I fancied a change with the rainy weather on the Welsh coast and some challenging roads around country side here in the winter so as I'm considering getting new front tyres for my saab 9-3 convertible as they need to he changed this weekend anyway I have always had the dunlop sport maxx rt 2 which r summer tyres and like a lot of peeps in the UK we tend to stick to them all year round. I have been happy with how sporty they feel and response on winding roads in the dry, quiet, and grippy. I fancied putting on all weather /all season /or even straight up winter tyres on front for better grip on the slush in the North we had few days of snow but I was told you should not do that. All weather on front and back or summer, you shouldn't have them in front only. The back are essentially still brand new with hardly any driving due to WFH.

I was under the impression as long as the same axle have the same tyre type & thread pattern then that's fine. What do i think 馃

Registered
Do not change all-weather tires at front only and leave rear on summer tires. Deteriorating driving characteristics and you will be disappointed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not change all-weather tires at front only and leave rear on summer tires. Deteriorating driving characteristics and you will be disappointed.
Thank you for the quick advice 馃檹 so I need to decide if I want all new 4 all season. Are they louder than summer tyres? Any recommendations for brand /model? Given its a convertible it makes a difference when having quite tyres compared to the original tyres that were on this car couple of years ago.

Registered
Tire characteristics depend a lot more on brand/model/tread pattern than simply on all season or summer. FWIW I wouldn't mix tire either types just because it gives you an unpredictable oversteer/understeer tendency. The right answer is 2 sets of tires (summer & winter) for a wide range of driving conditions & ambient temp. Anything other than that (all seasons) tend to be a matter of finding the best compromise for your needs.

Registered
In the US there are lots of options for high performance all-season tyres that would be perfect for you. Basically summer tyres with some snow capability but with the correct compounds for cold weather use. Something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Unfortunately in Europe they generally only sell all-season tyres that have more of the characteristics of winter tyres than summer.

If you enjoy the UK B-roads, and they are excellent, given the options on the market I'd recommend you just stick with running the summer tyres all year, especially if it's not a legal or insurance issue up there [is it?]. But, I'd definitely avoid driving on them in the very cold or in the snow. I put a set of Michelin CrossClimate2 on my estate last year and they're, you know, fine--but they hardly encourage you to turn-in to some twisty bends and do spoil the handling.

[As an aside--both of my Saab's are used UK market cars, and both of them were fitted with summer tyres when I bought them. The saloon came from Scotland, I couldn't believe that they were using summer tyres in Scotland in the middle of winter, but there it is.]

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
, I couldn't believe that they were using summer tyres in Scotland in the middle of winter, but there it is.]
Haha yes I have friends in Germany who always find it odd that we use summer tyres all year around in the UK whenever the conversion comes up about them having to store a full set of tyres somewhere 馃槄Its a conversation that comes up every winter when for any slight snow the UK Comes to a stop and you call work to say you can't move your car /can't drive because of the "snow" and use annual holiday to cover it. Our German and Swedish colleagues always find it hilarious 馃ぃ馃ぃand say "winter tyres?!"

We probably get the equivalent of 14 days at most annually hence its still hard for us to change our way of thinking hehe 馃榿it's not an insurance requirement in the uk nor a legal one to fit winter tyres.

Registered
You do not need REAL winter tires, because you do not have REAL winter at all.
Today was +5C and rains WATER which makes roads extreme icy (main roads were salted).
Yesterday we had -15C and evening when temperature raised, we had snow rain (about 5 cm more).

Here in Finland it is illegal to use summer tires in winter (and common sense says same).

Registered
Snow tires up front and summer performance rubber in the rear will have you seeing the rear pass the front on any slippery curve, that is why the suggestion is to put the best grip in the rear, even with FWD.

Real winter tires are an eye opener, transform almost any car into a snow road hauler.

Registered
2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
Yeah it is mind boggling the ignorance on that subject鈥 Everybody just has to have 4wd; when all is necessary is a good fresh set of winter tires.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone has experience of winter tyres vs All weather could you comment on if you think NEWER models of all weather are nearly as good as winter tyres? Cos normal combined types of anything - not tyres specifically - are a gimmick.

Registered
Yeah it is mind boggling the ignorance on that subject鈥 Everybody just has to have 4wd; when all is necessary is a good fresh set of winter tires.
I have XWD and FWD 9-3 wagons which I use in winter. ;)

Registered
If anyone has experience of winter tyres vs All weather could you comment on if you think NEWER models of all weather are nearly as good as winter tyres? Cos normal combined types of anything - not tyres specifically - are a gimmick.
I have owned snow tyres in the past and as I mentioned I have a nearly new set of CrossClimate2 tyres on now. For driving in cold and rainy conditions like Wales, they're almost certainly going to be better than winter tyres in terms of cold grip and wet weather performance. There are lots of people that seem to think extreme winter tyres are needed when they live in climates with mild snow, and they're doing themselves a disservice because they're often worse in the wet and the cornering stability is much worse. They're made for people who live up near Mimmi where it's really cold and the road is always covered in snow. 馃槈

I often take my dogs up to this point which is at about 480m, and I had no problem getting up there (or back down) on untreated, snow-covered roads with the CrossClimate2's. It's one of the few times the tyres will get used in snow this season.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Snow

My earlier point was that if you're used to driving on summer tyres, and you like to go around corners quickly, you're going to notice a substantial reduction in cornering grip and stability if you switch to these. They're more capable (and in Germany legally necessary), but much less fun to drive on...they feel much more like winter tyres.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have owned snow tyres in the past and as I mentioned I have a nearly new set of CrossClimate2 tyres on now. For driving in cold and rainy conditions like Wales, they're almost certainly going to be better than winter tyres in terms of cold grip and wet weather performance. There are lots of people that seem to think extreme winter tyres are needed when they live in climates with mild snow, and they're doing themselves a disservice because they're often worse in the wet and the cornering stability is much worse. They're made for people who live up near Mimmi where it's really cold and the road is always covered in snow. 馃槈

I often take my dogs up to this point which is at about 480m, and I had no problem getting up there (or back down) on untreated, snow-covered roads with the CrossClimate2's. It's one of the few times the tyres will get used in snow this season.

View attachment 286347

My earlier point was that if you're used to driving on summer tyres, and you like to go around corners quickly, you're going to notice a substantial reduction in cornering grip and stability if you switch to these. They're more capable (and in Germany legally necessary), but much less fun to drive on...they feel much more like winter tyres.
Wow 馃槏馃槏鈽僯ust wow first of all馃榿lovely picture馃摳 and absolutely gorgeous colour on your Saab 馃憣

Thanks for your reply its just what I was looking for, so the fun aspect I enjoy about driving on dunlop sport maxx rt 2 馃殬馃榿is the trade off hehe , they do feel really nice in cornering and precise handling. But in terms of wet weather anti aquaplaning on motorway speed for examples I find them similar to the perelli p zero summer tyres, rubbish, 馃槒 compared to the Goodyear f Eagle asymmetrical which aren't as fun haha 馃榿 but they the good years always instilled confidence driving in heavy rain at motorways. The perillis used to scare me 鈽旔煠p煠he WORST in rain

Registered
Yes, it's a shame we don't get US style all seasons, which are geared for performance but also for cold weather use. They would be perfect for you (and me.)

I think if you do decide to get something different, you'd be happy with the CrossClimate2, but you'll immediately notice the loss of grip and cornering. I'm planning to use them only in the winter months and switch back to summer tyres once it gets back above 7 on average. Though, my other wheels have an awful set of Bridgestone RE050A's that will need to come off.

Super Moderator
I haven't used mainstream manufactures tyres for decades,got Falkens on my 9-3..

Registered
Here in Northern California I can avoid snow entirely if I just don't go east, and while Tahoe isn't Finland, I'm still of the mind I'd rather have real summer tires and real winter tires rather than all-seasons. Summer tires are better than all-seasons in the wet, and as WagonsWest said the difference between an all-seaon and a proper winter tire is eye opening.

Until you spend US$200 on an all-season tire, you don't get much. I'd rather spend $120 on a summer tire and $120 on a winter tire, generally. A $120 summer isn't as good as a $200 summer tire, but I don't think you'll find useful differences on public roads. Unless, I suppose, you're sensitive to noise. Cheaper summer tires do tend to be noisy. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts