SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals! I was wondering if you could look at this picture and tell me if I put this check valve pointing up in the right position. Should the orange part be on the bottom or top, like in my picture? I was wondering if I put it back in the right way because I recently changed my vacuum lines, now when the air injection system helps my car warm up, when the air pump goes off, I'm guessing in the air lines, my car makes a gurgle, or sort of like a long farting noise? It never used to make that until I changed the lines. Please look at your air injection system valve and see if it's similar to mine. Thanks to all who participate!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just took a look at mine (1995 900s 2.3, m/t) and it's opposite of yours; the red portion of my check valve is facing down.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Hey! Thank you soo much for checking for me! I knew it was that! That was the only thing that could have gotten swapped around when I changed my vac lines... other than some trouble with forgetting I disconnected the TP sensor, lol! Thanks again!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Mine , in the '96 900S, is the same way; the check valve reddish orange portion is on top, as viewed.
But she utters no gurgling, no passing of noxious smelly gas..
What, pray tell is that corrugated 3" or so metal tube ?? Something to do with the turbo-charger ??
A 900S ?
This cannot be ..

·
Registered
980 Posts
I now believe the red part of the check valve should be facing up as earthworm has stated. I disconnected the line below the valve today and started the engine. (cold) There should be a vacuum on the underside of the check valve in order to open the secondary air switching valve located beneath. I then disonnected the check valve and verified there was vacuum leading into it from the control valve at the firewall. I re-installed the check valve, red side up, and there was vacuum on the other side of the check valve. I can't say it sounds any different, however. I had replaced the secondary air switching valve some years ago as it had somewhat disintigrated. It's possible I reversed the check valve then , but I can't see why I would have even disconnected both sides of it?

You might want to inspect your secondary air switching valve for cracks; especially where the large diameter hoses connect.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I turned the orange part downside, and I started it up from the cold, and the air pump started, and when the pump turned off, there was NO gurgle/bbbrrrrrlllaaaapppppp ish noise. I guess the only way to tell is ask someone who has never changed their vac lines before. The only thing I can tell is that on the orange side, it says DIST and on the black side, it says CARB. ??? :roll: But earthworm, are you talking about the picture? The only thing I can think you're talking about is the upper radiator hose, it has the ribbed plastic piece on it, I'm guessing to protect the hose from the Distributor Cap? lol...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts