SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a decent set of all-season tires to replace my bald Kumhos.

I've narrowed it down to a few choices, but I'm leaning towards the 195/60HR15 Bridgestone Potenza G 009s at tirerack.com - I was also looking at Yokohama AVID H4S's, but they have a miserable rating for winter. I'm done with the Kumhos, I hate they way they handle on rough roads and wet surfaces.

Anyone ever try the Bridgestone Potenza before?

My main two criteria: I'm looking for a quieter ride and good performance. I drive a non-turbo, and I'm looking to make the car feel less like a shopping cart when I'm on rough roads.

I'm checking ebay for a set of steel rims with snows eventually, but I do not drive much as it is, so all-season M+S seems to be my main route for now.

And please, no offense to anyone here, spare me the 'get the snow tires' speeches seen on every tire thread :cheesy: I just want to know which All-season tires people have experience with here on their NG900s and what they generally recommend for quieter ride and decent winter handling.

-zen

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
The best all season tire Tire Rack sells seems to be the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S (not to be confused with the summer-only non M+S version). It came out on top in a comparison test they did and the owner ratings are great. A few of us here have them, and I think they're wonderful tires. I've used them in the snow and they work pretty well, too. They're also standard equipment on the Mustang GT.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Jeremy R. said:
The best all season tire Tire Rack sells seems to be the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S (not to be confused with the summer-only non M+S version). It came out on top in a comparison test they did and the owner ratings are great. A few of us here have them, and I think they're wonderful tires. I've used them in the snow and they work pretty well, too. They're also standard equipment on the Mustang GT.
These? Or the RFTs?

Do you find the ride to be quieter than Kumhos or other brands?

I'm on 15" rims - 195 60R15 alloys.

-zen

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
It looks like they don't make either of those in a 15" size, which is too bad. The Continental Conti Extreme Contact, which came in second to the Pirelli, might come in a 15" size. I've never had Kumhos, but the Pirellis are no noisier than the Michelin Pilots that came on my car. Some of our other cars have had Goodyear Eagles and Bridgestone Potenza tires, and the Pirellis seem to have more grip and handle as well in the rain as either of those.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Pirellis P-Zeros unfortunately wear out faster than others but they're good for grip.

I had the 17" and they didn't last too long :cry:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just put four General Altimax HP all season tires on mine.

Very satisifed so far (~ 800 miles). They are very quiet, both dry and wet traction are good, and good looking too. Forgot to say, they are cheap.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard a few people say they liked the General Altimax HP tires, are they as quiet as I've heard? (pun)

-zen

coliphage said:
I just put four General Altimax HP all season tires on mine.

Very satisifed so far (~ 800 miles). They are very quiet, both dry and wet traction are good, and good looking too. Forgot to say, they are cheap.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Well my choice may not be sporty as the ones previously mentioned, but I think they are a good all-season tire.

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

I put on ComforTred's before last winter, these tires performed really good for me in the snow, when combined with my superior driving capabilities in the snow :cool: . And in the dry, they are quite and can handle high speeds in the rain. I think it was a good choice, plus they have a really high treadwear when compared to other tires, 700+

People, remember that you can't rely completely on your tires to hold onto the ground, you have to know how to handle the vehicle their attached too as well.

Forgot to add links to Tire Rack's review > TripleTred ComforTred
Plus they score much better than any of the tires previously mentioned as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I love my Michelin Primacy MXV4's I put 205/60HR15's on. They have a 60,000 mile warranty. Got them at Costco and THERE MICHELINS!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tires for you

I put Bridgestone Potenza 900G's on my '96 900S and love them, but I have 16" wheels. Before choosing the Bridgestones I looked at the Nokian I6's, but I don't have any experience with those tires. However, they are made in Europe and so I am sure they are designed for all season weather. I wanted to get some Michelins, but didn't have the $. There's my $.02.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any snow driving with them in Virginia? Is it a quiet tire? I'd say quieter/smoother ride is my first criteria over anything else, handling is second (tread wear is last).

-zen

aaronw said:
I put Bridgestone Potenza 900G's on my '96 900S and love them, but I have 16" wheels. Before choosing the Bridgestones I looked at the Nokian I6's, but I don't have any experience with those tires. However, they are made in Europe and so I am sure they are designed for all season weather. I wanted to get some Michelins, but didn't have the $. There's my $.02.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you want a quite/smooth ride, then you should be looking for a good touring tire and not a performance tire.

Look to what the expensive cars or old people cars have as OEM tires and see if any of those tires come in the size that you need. Check what Buick's ride on, Oldsmobile's, Lexus's, any car that boast "having the quietest interior".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts