SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife hit a curb very hard and the right wheel is way out of alignment. It broke the sway bar link, which I replaced. Is it possible the tie rod is bent, I looked at it and noticed a bend that seemed to go around the cv joint, so I do not know how to tell if it is damaged. Should it be straight? I do not want to buy one to find out it was not damaged. I do not have a saab shop near, so I do not know where to get it aligned. Or if it is a bent tie rod, would the hacks at goodyear or another place be able to tell?

·
Registered
398 Posts
My wife hit a curb very hard and the right wheel is way out of alignment. It broke the sway bar link, which I replaced. Is it possible the tie rod is bent, I looked at it and noticed a bend that seemed to go around the cv joint, so I do not know how to tell if it is damaged. Should it be straight? I do not want to buy one to find out it was not damaged. I do not have a saab shop near, so I do not know where to get it aligned. Or if it is a bent tie rod, would the hacks at goodyear or another place be able to tell?
They'll know if it's bent or not. 1-they won't be able to align the car, and 2-in some states (if not all), the tie rod ends are part of the safety inspection.

·
Registered
231 Posts
"Is it possible the tie rod is bent, I looked at it and noticed a bend that seemed to go around the cv joint, so I do not know how to tell if it is damaged." Are you talking about the sway bar itself? The tie rod is not near the cv joint but runs parallel to it higher up near the steering rack.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I do not have a saab shop near, so I do not know where to get it aligned. Or if it is a bent tie rod, would the hacks at goodyear or another place be able to tell?
Take it somewhere that has Hunter Force Alignment System. Pretty sure you can go on their website and it should show what shops/dealers have it. Little more $$$ but definitely well worth it on a Saab. Very hard to do an alignment with bent tie rod ends, and I'm sure majority of mechanics could spot that. I'd also check the alignment screw that connects the tie rod and the steering rack together.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
There is also a possibility the subframe is tweeked. I have a spare but will.cost 2 arms and 3 legs to ship. You also could have bent the bolt that runs in the inner tie rod bushing into the steering rack.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just mean that if you want to see whether anything is bent, look at the other side. Tie rods, control arms, trailing arms, sway bar and outer driveshafts are just a mirror image

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it was bent

toe rod bent and replaced, just need to take it in for an alignment. Thank you to all that replied.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts