SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think my car is about ready for an alignment, and I was wondering how different a joeblow 50 dollar job is from what I would get from a good saab mech. (who charges about 150-200). if anybody has a sense of this, i would be very greatful. thanks

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It really depends on what needs to be done!

If the car was hit, or you've done major suspension work (fitting new coils, etc.), then you'll need a complete front-end alignment; $100-150 sounds about right for this job.

If none of the above, then, as with most SAABs, your car will only need a toe adjustment (recommended after replacing tie-rod ends). This should cost under $50 for how easy it is to do, but if you get away with less than $80 you're doing well.

Where I live, none of the franchises will do only a front-end alignment; they all insist on doing a nice, expensive 4-wheel alignment, which is idiotic because there's nothing on the Saab's rear suspension to adjust :evil:

I've so far avoided alignments by carefully measuring tie-rod lengths when replacing them. In the near future, however, I plan to buy a trammel gauge for toe settings, which will cost about $35 (see, for example, www.jcwhitney.com).

Ask what it is the shop intends to do to your car, and then decide if it's what you need. Talk to them--if they won't level with you or be accommodating to your car's needs, go somewhere else :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts