SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Spring is in the air (well, maybe not today), and a middle-age man's thoughts turn to . . . his 9-5. I getting ready to do a major job on the suspension (Koni Sports, Eibach springs, ball joints, tie rod ends).

My question is . . . looking at several sites, there is a front end alignment kit (I imagine for camber). I can't for the life of me find any diagrams of where these bolts go. Several of our wonderful members that have post pictures of an suspension job show no mention of it.

On a side note, this in Linear 2003 that should be lowered 1.2" (35mm) according to the specs. I'd like to order some shims for the rear that will keep the camber in spec. Was wondering what peoples experience has been. My guess is a 6mm on each side.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I have had several aftermarket suspension set ups on my 9-5's all have been aligned correctly without the need for any kits or shims :confused:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Hey neighbor!!

Will you be doing this work yourself? Do you already have all the parts?

I bought SAAB's Roadholding Kit for my 2000 (as well as a lot of other bits and pieces for the front suspension) and had it installed 1-1/2 weeks ago by K&N Automotive in Ann Arbor.

I had planned to do this myself but changed my mind after I priced out all the tools I would need to do this job. None of the tools were anything special, but when you start the list with an air compressor and impact wrench the cost gets high in a hurry.

The SAAB kit lowerd my base model car by 10mm and no shims were needed in the rear for camber alignment. I also did not need the special camber bolts for the front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's the intention. I had success with other photos here doing things like the Crankcase ventilation fix. I'm borrowing a friends impact wrench and buying him a set of Metric sockets. I haven't bought any parts yet, the source of this was a noise issue (hit a big pothole). I have on the front driver side. I suspect it is an alignment issue but I wanted to get it up in the air to see if the rim is bent.

Shox.com has a good deal with free shipping on the main parts. I get most of the normal stuff from RockAuto which I have a coupon for for 5% off. I'm leaning toward some Deeza ball joints and tie rod ends. They are supposedly stronger and have some grease fittings.

Regarding your project . . . Yeah, I saw you doing something similiar on other posts. Next time you have a big on coming up, PM me and I'll come over and help (my only requirement is that the Tigers game is on the radio).

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
You don't need air tools to do the suspension upgrade just get a handheld propane torch/breaker bar/cheater pipe and some PB Blaster. You can get the spring compression tool online from Autozone and most of the other tools too. Also you don't need the camber kit for the front since the bolts that hold the strut housing to a-arms do have some play in them for adjustment. Now if you were dropping your car super low then yes I would recommend the camber bolts (which are oval) to achieve the required camber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
camber adjustment

Well, that's good to know I don't need those items. I am interested for curiosity's sake where the front bolts are located.

@MI-Rogers - Yeah, I saw some other posts (as well as your review at GS) that you were doing the upgrade. How much did K&N quote you for everything? I have ordered all the major parts (rear Koni are back ordered), but wanted to get the car up on jack and see if I damaged anything else in my pothole battle that was the start of this. I figured I needed an alignment to correct the noise and uneven tire wear I was getting after hitting a pothole in the late fall, so I'm trying to replace everything that would require a alignment after installing (ball joints, tie rod ends, still not sure about the stabilizer link). My big fear is that I've screwed up that $100 bushing on the rear of the control arm.

Give me a PM if you do anything you need help with this summer. Other items on my list this summer is the serpentine belt and dropping the oil pan and inspecting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts