SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So about 15 minutes ago as I was arriving at school I heard a strange noise coming from near the bottom of the steering column (footwell where the gas/brakes are) and in the dash. It sounded like when a leaf is stuck in a bicycle wheel and the wheel is turning very fast. When I turn off the ACC it goes away. When I have ACC on Auto with wind blowing at legs or body it's loud. If I turn off the recycle air button it's not as apparent, if I change it to the windshield defroster it sounds like the noise becomes more muted and far away. If I turn it to Econ it is not as apparent either. I've reset the ACC. There are no error codes.

Any ideas? This is most frightening!

Cheers,
nati

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sounds awfully like a bearing going in the ventilation fan.

It wont show as a code as its not technically broken yet.

Either that or you actually have some leaves stuff in your system.

Its a pain to pull out (including taking the wipers out etc)

Also some people report issues with the motors hurting themselves when the AUTO function is left to its own devices as it can over use them speeding their failure

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any of those sound plausible...
The noise went away for a couple of days and then started up again. Would a bad bearing do that? (i.e. not a static problem but one that comes and goes)

I was hoping it was as simple as a stuck leaf or pine needle (as there has been a lot of that around here - i keep scooping handfulls of leaves from near the wipers...).

How would one go about checking for leaves in the whole system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
If the noise is intermittent it could still be the bearings.

Same deal, pull wipers out, pull plastic cover out, pull fan out.

I'd reckon its your fan, maybe your ac compressor. Hard to tell without hearing it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have the same problem. It randomly happens and its only when I shut the car off. I put my money on the ventilation fan. I'm not fixing it until it gets worse. I had a fan in my last car make noise for the life of when I owned her (11 years)!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys.
If i do pull the fan out.. will there be a way to tell if one of the bearings is bad...or do i just replace it regardless and hope that's the issue? Also, are there instructions somewhere for how to do the work on that or would you recommend a mechanic?

cheers,
nati

·
Registered
199 Posts
The bearing sit in hte middle of the fan and you can't just check them. I'm not sure on whether you could start the car when you have it all open and have a listen though you'd run the risk of actually getting crap in the vents.

As to doing it yourself its not overly hard but that depends on the level of your competency and whether you feel confident pulling lots of stuff out and putting it back on correctly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the same thing, the noise seems to switch itself on and off in short bursts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts