SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last 2 weeks, my car alarm has gone off several times while the car is sitting, unmolested, in my driveway.

There haven't been any earthquakes, sonic booms, or low-flying helicopters to shake it. The battery appears to be healthy (only 2 years old). I did a Google search for car alarms in general and often the culprit is the hood latch sensor. We don't have a latch sensor, just the big plunger switch, and it looks fine: rubber boot is intact, no visible damage to the switch or the wiring, the contacts look clean and the connector is latched on solidly.

Has anyone else experienced this, or can recommend some troubleshooting?

·
Super Moderator
19,051 Posts
All your door locks and windows operate normally?

·
Super Moderator
19,051 Posts
OK, but are you in the past having any issues with any of them not locking or unlocking properly? Outside of a part obviously failing you'll need a tech2 to see what is acting up. A lot of times it's driver's door switchpack. They get rained on (I see Florida as location) and then go bad. Need a tech2 anyways.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Another one I've now discovered is that each door lock and latch mechanism also has the door closed sensor in it. The door may lock and unlock properly, but the car might not recognize the door as open and closed. A way to test this is have all doors unlocked, open one and see if the interior light turns on. If it does, close the door and wait for the lights to go off. On to the next door, etc. for all 4. If the interior lights don't come on on one of the doors, then your culprit is that door latch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another one I've now discovered is that each door lock and latch mechanism also has the door closed sensor in it. The door may lock and unlock properly, but the car might not recognize the door as open and closed. A way to test this is have all doors unlocked, open one and see if the interior light turns on. If it does, close the door and wait for the lights to go off. On to the next door, etc. for all 4. If the interior lights don't come on on one of the doors, then your culprit is that door latch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Already dealt with that last time I repaired, damaged, then replaced a lock actuator.

To avoid annoying everybody with constant alarm activations I've been manually locking the doors for the last 2 months or so. Will the Tech2 have a log of old problems? A few times I got the "alarm system failure. Contact service" message but usually I just got the "alarm activated since last cycle".

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tech II should show any stored faults that relate to the alarm system, and you can check the switches & wiring to the BCM for the alarm.

Is the dashboard LED doing anything unusual when you arm the system, like flashing rapidly before it settles down?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts