SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New here.

Have acquired '92 900T convertible from my wife (whose has moved on to a Toyota Prius). We've owned the car from new and it has only 67K miles. I am now (since my last car, a VW Passat wagon, was passed on to my son) the proud driver of a Saab.

I replaced the battery in the remote (which my wife has never used), went to the supermarket, set the alarm and walked out to find the car flashing and beeping. Since then I have experimented and have found that shortly after I arm the system, the alarm goes off. Every time. What could be setting the alarm off?

·
Registered
954 Posts
possibly could be the motion sensor under the right footwell. could be loose and just hanging there. that would set it off. Welcome to saabcentral!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
67K!!!

Welcome to Saab Central

We need pics!

Can you not adjust the sensitivity of the alarm with the switch in near the power window switches?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'll pull my head down to my shoulders a bit to suggest this possible cause... My BMW 750iL's OEM alarm is prone to going off spuriously when the battery is old and not delivering a full 12 volts. I've heard that other alarm systems can sometimes go a little crazy when system voltage drops below 12 volts (and it is normally between 12.5 and 13.5 volts on a car with a healthy battery and a healthy voltage regulator).

So, check your battery and its posts and clamps to be sure that your alarm system is getting the healthy supply of current it needs to monitor its sensors.

Oh, does your alarm system indicate which of its sensors triggered the alarm? Some aftermarket alarm systems do by flashing the red LED a different number of times to correspond to the different sensor inputs after an alarm has sounded. The OEM alarm on my '89 doesn't do this as far as I know, but the newer ones may.

Scott

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
EASY !!! the minute you leave the car .. turn your back so to speak ... The trolls come out to play !!! you need to turn down the sensitivity so that it is Troll resistant !!

Welcome to SC ... and now you know whay your wife never used the alarm ...:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Alarm Problem

Hello

I have a 1993 900S convertible w/ the same problem. Alarm goes off 45 seconds after enabling it. Have you or anyone else found what is the culprit?

Thank You!

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
i have same problem, have found the culprit "ME" for turning it on:cheesy: ,

but thanks for info of sensor adjustment etc, will have a look at the weekend.:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
1993 900s Convertible Alarm

I will check the voltage level of the battery as this problem seemed to crop up after a winter of storage and draining of the battery. Not sure what you mean by bonnet switch?

Thank You

Rob

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
there is a pressure switch which is activated by the bonnet.
it is situated either above the headlight on cross member, or above the brake/clutch fluid filler on bulk head, .
well thats where ours are situated anyway

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The Bentley manual in the US calls it a pin switch which is pressed when the hood is closed. It is located above the passenger headlight. If this is the same switch we're talking about, I checked it for both mechanically and electrically (lack of continuity) when it is pressed down. Are we talking the same part?

Rob

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
nanookvd said:
Are we talking the same part?

Rob
That would be it!
Also, IIRC, the window switcpack has an on off switch that sits closest to the rear seat. This is the motion sensor defeat switch. Turn it to "off" and see if this stops the problem of the spuriously screeching car alarm.:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, however I didn't understand your message about where the motion sensor defeat switch is. Can you explain a little better. Midwestern people sometimes are a little slow :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
nanookvd said:
Thanks for the suggestion, however I didn't understand your message about where the motion sensor defeat switch is. Can you explain a little better. Midwestern people sometimes are a little slow :)
There is a set of switches behind the hand brake, look on that one.
I think the switch runs sideways instead of fore and aft.:cool:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
nanookvd said:
Do I have to remove anything to get access to these switches?
Yes...
If you have a hat on that is so large you can't look down to your right and slightly back along the center console (shift/handbrake area), remove it!:cheesy:

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
the on off switch between seats at back is for diasabling the rear windows from being open by people/kids in the back messing about with them

·
Registered
110 Posts
OK. I replaced the battery and it did not solve the problem. I did notice that the interior lights do not turn off after the door is closed. (The interior switch is in position "1" for the light to turn off automatically.

So this tells me either the driver or passenger door has a bad pin switch or the timer relay is defective.

Has anyone come across this before?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts