SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Recently bought an NG900 98R SE Turbo.

When i turn on the power in the car some mildly worrying things happen.

Firstly i am given a warning "ding-dong" which (to me) implies i should be recieving a warning message on the SID. I dont know what version of SID i have.

However no message appears on the SID, infact it is blank, though by defualt upon starting the car it displays my average fuel consumption. Not sure when it goes blank.

At the same time, the "check engine" light appears, as it should, and it disappeers when the ignition is switched, but if you leave the cars power turned on without turning the ignition, the "check engine" light begins to flash.

Is any of this connected? what is likley to be going on? can anyone point me towards useful information sources?
I have had a look round the net and though i have an understanding, im not a mechanic so its difficult to know what i should be searching for.

any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

-Theo

p.s. no other warning symbols appear on the dash, the "bing-bong" only happens once, i do have one main beam bulb out but no specific warning lightappears for this (i guess it could be a knackered dash bulb, in which case im worrying about nothing) and the car "appears" to drive fine though i havnt given it a proper run yet.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
When I bought mine I had the same ding dong sound with no warning light or message displayed. Mine turned out to be the ABS system but the ABS warning light bulb was busted. Actually 4 warning lights in mine were busted when I got it, so I had to remove the instrument cluster, crack the speedo open to replace all the bad bulbs.

When you turn on the key to run, (not start) check to see which warning lights come on and post them here.

On mine I get:
- Check Engine
- Check Gear box (automatic)
- Red Triangle thing
- ABS
- Battery
- Oil
- TCS
- TCS OFF
- Sport (Automatic)
- Low fuel light
- Brake (!)
- SRS

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
AuToMoDuLaTeD said:
Hello All,

Recently bought an NG900 98R SE Turbo.
Congrats and welcome to SaabCentral

When i turn on the power in the car some mildly worrying things happen.

Firstly i am given a warning "ding-dong" which (to me) implies i should be receiving a warning message on the SID.Not necessarily, mine does the same ding-dong (rather pleasant), letting me know that the ding-dong works...I don't know what version of SID i have.This info should be in your manual.

However no message appears on the SID, in fact it is blank, though by default upon starting the car it displays my average fuel consumption. Not sure when it goes blank.

At the same time, the "check engine" light appears, as it should, and it disappears when the ignition is switched, but if you leave the cars power turned on without turning the ignition, the "check engine" light begins to flash.Perhaps, as you are not supposed to leave the key on the ON position, - a protest of sorts..

Is any of this connected? what is likely to be going on? can anyone point me toward useful information sources? The owners manual
I have had a look round the net and though i have an understanding, I'm not a mechanic so its difficult to know what i should be searching for.

any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

-Theo

p.s. no other warning symbols appear on the dash, the "bing-bong" only happens once, i do have one main beam bulb out but no specific warning light appears for this (i guess it could be a knackered dash bulb, in which case I'm worrying about nothing) and the car "appears" to drive fine though i haven't given it a proper run yet.

Thanks again!
One main bulb out ??....headlights ?
The SID is supposed to let you know about this....
For mine, I prefer the old-fashioned light check and under the hood inspection ; its much the better.
Nothing at all seems to be really "wrong"..
Enjoy your new ride.:cheesy:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Yes, the ding-dong at Start is normal. All the dash lights should stay on if you turn to ON and don't start it. The blinking is what I can't figure out. Is there a pattern to it? Like 2 short, one long, 3 short? or just steady?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, thanks for the replies.

right...

I have checked properly now and all of the dash lights that should come up do come up, so, the same as above but without the automatic transmition features.

After a day of driving it around the SID has now finally worked out that i am missing a bulb and tells me as such.

However, the check engine light now comes on whilst driving. Oh joy.

It also still comes on whilst the cars eletrics are turned on and there IS a pattern to its flashing. It comes on solidly, then goes out for a second or two, then begins a pattern of 3 flashes, then a gap, then 7 flashes.

so... any more ideas... please!

thanks.

-T

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Sir, have the codes read, the CEL warning is important - if the CEL flashes are constant and repeatable, then they may have a meaning..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can the Stealership's Tech-II disable the "chimes"? I had a very minor alternator over-charge, and the "...ding-dong-ding-dong-ding...." nearly drove me STARK-RAVING-MAD..... I even overpaid to have the alternator and serpentine replaced because I couldn't stand "..the bells, the bells.."

They also ring non-stop til I start-up and step on the brake to turn the annoying "test Brake lights"-message off. And all the rear-lights work too, which makes it doubly annoying. I drove my C900 over 250,000-miles, but this NG900 is getting on my nerves after less than 4000-miles and two expensive repairs.

Are ALL repair shops operated by pirates, pickpockets and thieves??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
foolishly enough i searched around the net for the 'key' to the trionic warning flashes i have been speaking about eventually finding them elsewhere on this site!

-------------------
How to read diagnostic trouble codes:

1. Stop the engine.

2. Switch on the ignition without starting the engine.

3. After approx. 6 seconds, the 'Check Engine' light goes out for an instant before lighting up again for 3 seconds. This 3 second flash is a warning that the actual flashing code is about to start.

4. The flashing code consists of a number of short flashes lasting 0.4 seconds. The 'Check Engine' light goes out for 2 seconds between each new flashing code (if there is more than one fault).

5. After the last flashing code, the 'Check Engine' light goes out for 3 seconds before lighting up again for 3 seconds, after which the flashing codes are repeated. Readout continues in this way as many times as you wish.

Number
of flashes
Function
Manifold absolute pressure sensor
Temperature sensor, manifold
Temperature sensor, coolant
Throttle position sensor
Oxygen sensor
Adaptation
Purge valve (EVAP valve)
ECM, internal fault

---------------------

so I guess seeing as i have three flashes and then seven that the problem is in the manifold temp gauge and adaptation... what is meant by adaptation in this sense?

cheers.

-T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts