SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, my airflow selector knob is stuck in the feet position. It's getting cold and I _really_ need to have it on the window.

My initial reaction was that it was the toilet paper holder. I took a look at it, and my holder seems to be perfectly intact, but the actual distribution cylinder doesn't spin.

What can be the cause/problem and how do I go about diagnosing and fixing it? Is there a shaft that the cylinder spins on. Maybe the cylinder is just off the shaft and I need to put it back on? How do I go about gaining access to the actual distribution cylinder itself?

Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
One common known issue is binding in the heater box.
From the SaabSite:
"Cabin control knob failures are often the result of a binding heater box. You can replace the knob but you may eventually have to do something with the heater box as well. Issues exist with the box which creates the knob problem. Only the right shaft can be replaced. If the other side is messed up as well you must replace 5174685 depending on the car you have." Also from the SaabSite:
"In Most cases a broken heater control knob adjuster can be attributed to binding heater control box. The repair is to either reposition the control box with additional clips in a manner that will free up the box from binding or to completely replace the heater box."
See here and here. There are additional links on the SaabSite pages.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, I took it apart today and moved the cylinder by hand. It was _very_ hard to move!! Looks like my heater box is "binded"... I guess I need to put some screws/clips somewhere. Does anyone know where??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts