SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hottest day of the year in MA so far. Trouble is the aircon doesn't work! When switching it on, shouldn't there be a click or some noise as the compressor clutch engages? Well; nothing is audible from mine, therefore I assume the problem is electrical. Has anyone any suggestions? The fuze is intact.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
mine did the same, get a nasty noise though, i have to wait till next wednesday to have it fixed. bummer.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I don't hear a clock with mine though. But if you're just idling you can definatly tell cause the revs will probably dip slightly just when you turn it on. The engine will then adjust idle speed to compensate for this new drain.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Well; nothing is audible from mine, therefore I assume the problem is electrical. Has anyone any suggestions? The fuze is intact.
While your reasoning is sound, your conclusion isn't necessarily correct. I usually hear a click on mine, BUT the lack of a click isn't necessarily electrical. If the system is low on gas the compressor won't click on no matter what.

Maybe the easiest thing to do is buy one of those cans of refrigerant and a gauge (I bought mine in a kit for $ 30.00). It seems logical that your refrigerant has slowly leaked out over the winter.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
wonkyhamster said:
The hottest day of the year in MA so far.
Yeah, I was amazed that it went all the way up to room temperature in my part of the state. My compressor isn't engaging either, but that is definitely because of a leak in one of the lines. Gonna have to find myself a gauge and check out the pressure. Its measured on the high pressure end right? I see that the fill/low pressure line is located right up between the radiator and driver's side (US) headlight. Where is the high pressure port located?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
:nono; I think the high pressure side is in front of the radiator. You can see it if you take off the grill. BUT I think it's dangerous to mess with it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
NOT the high pressure side!!!!

...unless you really know what you are doing, and have the kit with a good manifold and two gauges on it ($100-$250 for a decent one). You can cause an explosion if you screw up on the high pressure lines, and damage a perfectly good Saab (not to mention hurt yourself).

If you decide to go that route anyway, get a pair of thick gloves and some safety glasses, at least!

Everything a do-it-yourself mechanic needs to do to measure the pressure, recharge the system, add oil if the compressor is noisy, check the operating pressure range, or add dye, can be done from the low pressure port that sticks up near the battery, and for very little money. Just follow the instructions on the kit (the one with the gauge in the middle you can get at NAPA and any decent part store).

Besides refrigerant, they also have cans with 50/50 refrigerant and oil mix, stop-leak and o-ring sealer, dye mix, all for $5-10 per can, with instructions. If you are putting in the oil mix, remember that can goes upside down, while the refrigerant can stays upright (I always wonder why the oil is not going in until I think of it)

As for the "click" that you hear when the system cycles, I can't hear it from inside the car (some people can). It is pretty plain with the AC running and the hood up though.

First thing I would do is to lower the temp on the ACC until the display reads "LO", and the air is blasting out of the vents (make sure the ACC is not on recirculate, and open the windows), then listen for the compressor, the clicking sound at the front of the car with the hood up etc.

Measure the pressure with just the gauge kit before you add any refrigerant, it the system is full, what you put in will just leak out the pressure relief valve anyway.

If you really think it is just an electrical problem, make sure the AC relay did not pop out of the holder in the relay tray under the hood (driver side corner). The plastic retaining clips break off due to vibration... mine does that about once per year since half the clips are gone...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
When measuring the pressure with a guage (attached on the low pressure side of the system), you do it while the AC system is on correct?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes - running on maximum. There were good instructions on the kit I bought. I needed an extra gas bottle however to reach the recommended 45psi as there was negligible pressure to start with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts