SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
jaluu2 said:
what is the easiest way to remove the airbox on a 03 95 aero
Hi welcome to Saab Central. Are you looking to completely remove the box or just replace the filter?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Please don't "shout" Jaluu, i hear ya loud 'n' clear...;)

Right, instructions for airbox removal as follows..
1. remove front grill
2.remove right headlight and indicator unit
3.slacken the retaining clips, and disconnect the intake pipe from the top of the air cleaner housing
4.apply hand/emergency brake, then jack up the front and support on axle stands
5.remove r/h front wheel, undo retaining screws and remove wheel arch liner
6.from underneath, slacken the retaining clip, and disconnect the intake pipe from the bottom of the air cleaner housing
7.unscrew the lower mounting nuts, and lower the air cleaner housing from under the inner wing (you may need to remove a couple of bumper retaining screws from the right hand side to allow removal of the housing)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry bout the shouting first time on the site
i am going with a k&n filter what size do i need 3 or 4 inch opening?
thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
hey now.
if i knew anything about cars, i wouldn't act that way =)
im just a city boy. First car ever, and first car technically for the family. haha =)

but. seriously.

i was walking in the North End in Boston. and i heard this Subaru WRX drive by. it sounded like a muscle car. you know what im talking about? Sounded really noisy. and i heard a "pop". and i leaned over to my friend and said "wow, that must suck, it sounded like he broke something." then he goes "no, mike i think it was his air filter."

and so i kept walking. took me a minute, then LIGHTBULB!!!!! Is that how my car is going to sound like? or less violent?

;oops:

~Mike

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Highly tuned Scooby's do pop and crackle on the over-run. No, yours won't sound like that, just a loudish pppssshhhh.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
My understanding it that the exhaust popping is unburnt fuel exploding in the hot exhaust, presumably not a good thing for the very expensive catalytic converter :nono;

X

·
0 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
My understanding it that the exhaust popping is unburnt fuel exploding in the hot exhaust, presumably not a good thing for the very expensive catalytic converter :nono;
The upgraded FPR allows for a good popping session :cheesy: ( Not as impressive as this TVR that passes my house each day :eek: )

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
mfong said:
yah i didn't like that popping sound when i heard it.
hmm, i really want to hear how it would sound like on somebody's saab.

quick! someone drive by my house! :cheesy:

~Mike
I'm on me way Mike, might take a while though :cheesy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank for all the info
the airbox was very easy to get out
just need to make a splash guard now
it started raining

·
Registered
77 Posts
dragging up an old thread fromt he dead ;)

I'll be performing this operation on my wife's wagon this weekend.. think she'll notice anything different? :eek:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
qwikxr said:
think she'll notice anything different? :eek:
Not if she's deaf ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
ha!

on a scale of 1-10, 1 being silent, 10 being very loud... If the factory airbox audio emits about a 1 or 2... where's it scale with an open-element?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Hmm, windows shut maybe 3-4 ...........open maybe 6-7 ish ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Hmm, windows shut maybe 3-4 ...........open maybe 6-7 ish ;)
That's what I'm talkin about! Ive got a 6"x10" K$N with 3" opening, sitting in the garage, waiting for a new home. I think I found one.. I'll make the splash guard as well, so not to cause detrimental damage ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts