SaabCentral Forums banner

221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Disregard.... i see it on the list now, had to up the mileage from our location.
You should be good to go, although I haven't had the work done yet because they're waiting on a backordered fuel pump that's also under recall for my car. I'm trying to have both taken care of on the same day. The service manager - Dan Richardson - said they can do the airbag pretty much any time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Good deal, thanks. They've got great reviews, I sent him an email along with my VIN so they could make sure that's all she needs. I'll get it scheduled soon. If for some reason you make it there before me and have a craptastic experience, make sure and let me know, I'll do the same!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Thanks to Tucson Subaru (all the GM dealers in town refused to do the work, even less respect, if that is possible, for GM, and one was a former SAAB dealer) I had my recalls done locally. The 2004 9-3 SS seat belt on Tuesday, the 2011 9-3 vert seat belt and airbag on Wednesday, and the 2008 SC airbag on Thursday. The SAAB recall center had insisted I had to drive 90+ miles to Scottsdale to an Authorized Saab Service center but finally relented and the Subaru dealer (why, don't know!) offered to do it. Great service department and free shuttle service.

I won't post the name of the person at SAAB who helped me but if anyone in Tucson area needs recall work done PM me and I will share the info. Maybe you can work the same deal.

Finally I can crash with working seat belts and airbags ;ol;

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good deal, thanks. They've got great reviews, I sent him an email along with my VIN so they could make sure that's all she needs. I'll get it scheduled soon. If for some reason you make it there before me and have a craptastic experience, make sure and let me know, I'll do the same!
I finally got over to EuroPro in Charleston for the recalls (airbag and fuel pump) today. It went great -- really impressed with their shop. Hope it worked out well for you, too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about outside North America?

Guys,
Pardon my curiosity. Where can I find more info on this issue for other Saab outside NA? I've tried google with no luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Uhh
Guys,
Pardon my curiosity. Where can I find more info on this issue for other Saab outside NA? I've tried google with no luck.
It appears that in Qatar, vehicle recalls are controlled by the Ministry of Economy & Commerce. I am extrapolating that from this, and this, and this. MEC is theoretically accessible from this page of the Qatar government website, although I cannot get the page to load. I would suggest that you call MEC to see if you can obtain information about the Takata global recall as it pertains to Saab and Qatar.

Additionally, you can contact Orio, AB for the same purpose. Contacting the head office of Orio is recommended on the Orio website when searching for an authorized Saab Service Center in Qatar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It appears that in Qatar, vehicles recalls are controlled by the Ministry of Economy & Commerce. I am extrapolating that from this, and this, and this. MEC is theoretically accessible from this page of the Qatar government website, although I cannot get the page the to load. I would suggest that you call MEC to see if you can obtain information about the Takata global recall as it pertains to Saab and Qatar.

Additionally, you can contact Orio, AB for the same purpose. Contacting the head office of Orio is recommended on the Orio website when searching for an authorized Saab Service Center in Qatar.
That's great info. Can't believe I'm getting this from someone outside the country. I've searched the MEC website without any luck. I'll try to contact them later.
Again Thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a recall for the airbags for my 08 9-3, I called the nearest dealership and at that time they told me all the recall letter was for informative purposes...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got a recall for the airbags for my 08 9-3, I called the nearest dealership and at that time they told me all the recall letter was for informative purposes...
It's informing you that it needs to get done. It's an actual recall. If the dealership can't do it, I'd call the next one, or talk to the service manager.

·
Registered
342 Posts
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list/future-takata-airbag-recalls?utm_source=takata_table

This only came out 28th-29th Feb 2018 and confirmed in a official list a month later.
Holden (who were the reseller here) want nothing to do with you on the phone and direct you to the website to update details if you've moved or are not the original owner.
Its a we will contact you deal.

https://www.holden.com.au/owning/airbag-recall

Down the bottom there is a link to change or update details so they will contact you sometime in the future "years" as that's how long they think it might take to get enough replacements.

No mention anywhere about a seat belt recall for Australian vehicles however. Curious to know more about that.

Underwhelmed however this is the level of service we have come to expect from Holden \ Saab in Australia.

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Even though New GM (GM LLC) retained certain liabilities of old GM (GM, Inc.) as a result of the bankruptcy reorganization of Old GM, including warranty and recall obligations, it subsequently contracted with Orio, AB to fulfill those obligations. So GM/Holden are now out of the picture. You can find your nearest Authorized Saab Service Center here:

https://www.saabparts.com/en-au/australia/find-your-center/

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks for the link.
There are 5 listed in 150kms (just under 100 miles) from where I am in a major city, all of them have numbers removed on that website and only one still exists after checking them all, will give them a call in the morning and also ask about the drivers seatbelt recall which I'd not heard about.
A couple of the others are Holden dealers which will service Saabs according to their websites, not sure what the deal there is.

Maybe its some consumer law here or something however the recall announcements and information is all coming from Holden-GM here in Australia and specifically lists the two models involved.
Possibly as they are the only people with the records of vehicles imported, sold and owner database details they are managing it locally?
I was directed to the website by Holden to update my new details (address and contact details) so they can contact me when they are ready, they understood it was a Saab and said yes its on our list.

If this Saab service location can do it that would be much better than a Holden dealership who's probably not touched a Saab in years!

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Motor vehicle recalls in Australia can be voluntarily initiated by the manufacturer/supplier or, more rarely, they can be compulsory. The Takata airbag recall is compulsory. The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) has determined the following:

• a reasonably foreseeable use of vehicles with defective Takata airbags may cause injury to drivers and/or passengers, and
  • one or more suppliers of vehicles with defective Takata airbags have not taken satisfactory action to prevent those vehicles causing injury to drivers and/or passengers.
The compulsory recall requires suppliers of vehicles with defective Takata airbags to replace all defective Takata airbags in Australian vehicles by 31 December 2020 (or later in some instances if approved by the ACCC).

United States federal recall laws are substantially similar in some respects to those of Australia. Here the onus is put on the vehicle manufacturer, as well as component part manufacturers (industry suppliers), to avoid letting any defects slip through the cracks. However, vehicle manufacturers are absolutely responsible for providing recall notifications to consumers, regardless of the source of the actual defective part in the vehicle.

That said, nothing in US law, and I could find nothing in Australian law as well, requires that the vehicle manufacturer itself perform the recall work through its dealer network or otherwise. This means that a manufacturer may avoid that obligation by contracting with a responsible third party to perform the repair work.

New GM entered into an agreement with Orio, AB to administer SAAB warranty and recall matters for all SAABs that would otherwise have been covered under New GM's obligations. Thus, the letters and the websites (at least for cars sold in the US) took pains to distinguish between GM servicing for GM obligations and SAAB Authorized Service Center servicing of SAABs pursuant to the agreement with Orio, AB. The actual monetary cost of the recall will still pass to New GM under the agreement with Orio, AB. Below is an image of a recall letter from GM that appeared earlier in this thread with those portions making the distinction apparent underlined in red:

There may some gap-filling law, or perhaps a contract exception, at play in Australia if GM/Holden is still assuming responsibility for effecting recall repairs. By that I mean, there may be legislation in place that requires the manufacturer to perform the actual work if the contracted third party is unable, for whatever reason, to provide the service in a reasonably convenient manner, or the contract with Orio may itself provide that GM/Holden dealerships may administer the recall repairs in areas under-served by the Orio network. After all, the essential purpose of the law, to ensure that defective vehicles are rendered safe without cost to the consumer, would not be effectuated if the law permitted a manufacturer to contract out of the actual obligation to repair with a third party that has no presence, or a pitiably meager presence, in a large geographic region.

Regardless, if all or some GM/Holden dealerships in Australia are in fact continuing to perform the repairs, it should be no problem to have one of them do it if one of them is more conveniently located for you. The repair is simple, straightforward and takes well under 30 minutes to perform. The key consideration would be whether the more conveniently located GM/Holden dealership has the correct replacement part available for your model of Saab.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I spoke with the Saab contact who said they are expecting another 2-3 weeks before GM\Holden will start sending the letters out for the recall to owners (from the timeline provided to them) and upon receiving the letter to get back in touch with them to start the process.

Will wait for that to happen and update with lead times or whatever happens in case there is anyone else down here who's reading.

They knew nothing of the seat belt recall, I might look further in to that myself.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just got my recall letter in Australia.
See attached, will contact them and see how long they expect it to be to obtain parts.

*edit* Didnt realize the forum was going to compress the image so much, will find somewhere else to host it and link it.

221 - 240 of 246 Posts