SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I start having a prob of airbag with my 9-3. I think its a common fault to the saabs.

The airbag fault light comes on when I turn the steering wheel fully or nearly fully. mostly when I park or have to take a sharp bend. And only when turning the wheel to the right. once the wheel has reached that point, neither the other buttons for the radio or horn on the wheels works or you have to press very strongly. also the volume is actually decreasing when you press the UP button. in brief it makes a bad electrical contact. I believe it could come from the "contact ring" within the wheel. is there anybody here who could give me more info on how to sort this. any how to guide on that would be much appreciated?

P.S: I am aware that I need to disconnect the battery at least half an hour before to let the capacitors discharge and be able to work on the airbag system

·
Registered
358 Posts
It sounds like the clockspring coil. That's what makes the connection through the steering wheel to the buttons horn and airbag. Sounds like that needs to be replaced.
And disconnecting the battery for a minute is more than enough. No need to wait a half hour.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like the childbearing coil. That's what makes the connection through the steering wheel to the buttons horn and airbag. Sounds like that needs to be replaced.
And disconnecting the battery for a minute is more than enough. No need to wait a half hour.
Thanks indie, if its only a case of rplacing it that s alright then. I was already worried to have to buy a new contact ring.

And in terms of accessing to that childbearing coil, could you give some tips/step by step guidances please?

I have the haynes manual but didnt get a chance to check if there s something for the wheel removal.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This video might help.

SAAB CIM Removal - YouTube

It's an instruction for removing the CIM, but it describes how to get the steering wheel off.
thanks freqsound, I ve seen that video last night actually and will deffo have a go as soon as I found some time.

However, I was still wondering where that childbearing coil and the contact ring was located within the CIM? and if it was easily accessible.

if any of you have dismantled one before, I d appreciate some help there.

thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
thanks freqsound, I ve seen that video last night actually and will deffo have a go as soon as I found some time.

However, I was still wondering where that childbearing coil and the contact ring was located within the CIM? and if it was easily accessible.

if any of you have dismantled one before, I d appreciate some help there.

thanks
It's located directly behind the steering wheel and in front of the CIM. I actually found this video, which is the exact part you're going to want to replace. Even though it's a 9-5, the procedure is the same:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks freqsound. its very usefull. I am wondering whether we have to replace it or there could be something to do to revive/clean the conductive parts inside it. because my car is 05 and not worth spending too much on it...its just for the mot really. unless someone knows how to disable the airbag on the saab, I d be interested into that option.

·
Registered
94 Posts
thanks freqsound. its very usefull. I am wondering whether we have to replace it or there could be something to do to revive/clean the conductive parts inside it. because my car is 05 and not worth spending too much on it...its just for the mot really. unless someone knows how to disable the airbag on the saab, I d be interested into that option.
Taking it apart is extremely risky. After all, it's connected to the airbag. Life would suck a lot more if it deploys while driving. Yeah, it's a tough pill to swallow, but it's worth it. I'm an electronics guru and wouldn't risk taking my own apart. The most I would do with the CIM is clean the contacts for either of the stalks, but I'd leave the clockspring alone and just replace it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree. You could verify its not just something with a connector but otherwise I would replace. It's part of the safety system so disabling not a good idea either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. You could verify its not just something with a connector but otherwise I would replace. It's part of the safety system so disabling not a good idea either.
hi indie500, I ve removed the airbag, wheel and then opened the CIM to check for loose connections, corroded conductive parts or anything obvious but saw nothing striking there.

As you said the clock spring must be on its way out. The clockspring don't seem to be sold separately as I can only find the whole CIM online.

Do you need to re-program a new CIM with my key then? or it d come with a key (seen a couple with key on ebay)?

do you know if we could get just the clockspring? (as it s actually plugged in onto the CIM board and can be disconnected (done it tonight)).

Any advice is much appreciated,thanks

my CIM is the same as this one below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181489946702?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
just had a rilliant idea, I could buy a cim and dismantle it to use only the clockspring, cant I?

do you know if the clocksprings are the same ones between CIMs with different part numbers?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I looked at the wiring diagram and don't see any differences so that's the way I Would go if it were me. The two parts that go through The clockspring are the switches (including the horn ) and the airbag. Both are for wires so a total of eight in the coil.
Have you actually verified the open circuit on one or more of the pins?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the wiring diagram and don't see any differences so that's the way I Would go if it were me. The two parts that go through The clockspring are the switches (including the horn ) and the airbag. Both are for wires so a total of eight in the coil.
Have you actually verified the open circuit on one or more of the pins?
That s my next step as it was getting dark last time i had it opened. I am going to do a test of continuity tonight and also going to che k the presence sensor of the seats just by curiosity. Where did you see the diagram...could i find it in the haynes manual by any chance? If you could post it here if u ve got it in pdf. that would be of great help..
So just confirm, you have said that any clockspring would do fit CIMs with different product number.

Mine is saab number 128.025.559aa and the clo k spring is plugged in the CIM board.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
You might want to get a copy of the WIS since there are multiple procedures that must be performed before removing the air bag, like turning the key to the Lock position and leaving the key in place, then disconnecting the battery cables. There are also plenty of warnings.

And, just be sure to order the correct CIM for your country since there are at least 7 different CIMs listed in the EPC... Ron

·
Registered
358 Posts
'97 - he is beyond getting the airbag off. He's already had the steering wheel disassembled multiple times and said earlier that he was aware of the safety procedures.

FrenchConnection - I don't have details on all of the part numbers for the CIM module so I don't know what the differences are between them. There is more to the CIM than the clockspring coil, so maybe the differences are in the other portion. Usually on the wiring diagram in the WIS, there is an indication if something is sometimes there and sometimes not, and I didn't see that in the wiring diagram for the CIM. That leads me to believe that the differences must be elsewhere. Do you have steering wheel controls? 8 wires going through the clockspring coil (count the pins on the out connector)? I can't imagine that they would make different ones, but I really don't know the details about why CIMs have different part numbers. I think you might have an extra number in your part number as well. Normally I am used to 7 or 8 digits and you have 9. Maybe it shoudl be 12805559? I understand the concern as these are not cheap parts, but it's not obvious to me the differences based on the WIS.

I can create a pdf file of that diagram from the WIS, but they always come out bigger than the very small filesize limit that this site allows for posting an attachment (something like 15k for a pdf file). Anyway, if you PM me with an email address I will email it to you.

The airbag system has nothing to do with starting the car. No connection between those two systems. Are you having problems starting the car?

As for bypassing the airbag, there is always a way to do something. However, I design these types of systems and I cannot ethically provide any details to bypass the airbag and I strongly recommend against doing that. It is part of the vehicle safety system and if I provided that information and you or someone else driving your car were to get in an accident and be hurt because the system did not function, I would not want that on my conscience. The warning lamp comes on when there is an issue with the system and tricking the system to tell you it is functioning correctly when it is not isn't right. Sorry to get on a soapbox there, but I wanted to make sure you knew where I was coming from.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
indie - yes, please email me the wis. I ve PMed you my email address.
the correct part number is 12805559aa you were right, just misspelled it in the previous post.

I've tested the clockspring tonight and and god, that was fiddly..trying to hold both probes and turn the clockspring. I should have probably done it on the workbench in the weekend as it got dark again while having the CIM dismantled...quite scary...when you need the car for the day after to get to work and take the kids to school.

Anyway, I could not carry on the continuity test properly as my hand was moving and probes was making a bad contact as I was turn the clockspring. But when I refitted it, I got a permanent airbag fault which means it's definitely it to be the problem. plus I could feel some resistamce when turning the clockspring.

I was just wondering if I could leave the airbag unplugged until I change the clockspring? that s what I meant when I asked you in my previous post "if I could use the car with the airbag disconnected''. I am worried that short circuits within the clockspring might activate the airbag?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry - i misunderstood. Yes, it is no problem to remove the airbag. You can start and drive the car normally.

The thing you have to watch out for on the clockspring is that you don't want to turn it too far. You'll notice that you can turn the wheel 540 degrees or so (1 1/2 complete turns) in both directions. So, if the coil is not centered and you install it and turn it all the way, then you can overturn it and pull the wires. Hopefully there is a way to make sure you are centered more or less when you install the new one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry - i misunderstood. Yes, it is no problem to remove the airbag. You can start and drive the car normally.

The thing you have to watch out for on the clockspring is that you don't want to turn it too far. You'll notice that you can turn the wheel 540 degrees or so (1 1/2 complete turns) in both directions. So, if the coil is not centered and you install it and turn it all the way, then you can overturn it and pull the wires. Hopefully there is a way to make sure you are centered more or less when you install the new one.
Thanks so much for the diagram Indie. Ok, I will the airbag disconnected for the time being. I ve ordered a CIM on Ebay for 40 pounds which is alright and will replace it.

I think that what happened, after doing the tests I might have got confused on how many turns I had made to the left/right and did not put it back in place completely centered. Nevermind as it was already faulty anyway.

Now i ll have to be very carecul when putting back the new one in place. I ve seen an yellow indicator which point to an arrow when the clockspring hits its center point. But on mine this indicator was broken and would not turn so that s why i got mixed up!

I know the system now. I ll let you know how i got on with the new one.

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts