SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Saab 06 9-5 Aero displayed an airbag light and I would get warning beeps whenever I turned the steering wheel. I replaced the clock spring which took care of the beeps but still have the airbag warning light. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
973 Posts
It may self- cancel after a number of engine starts, if the fault is no longer present. 20 springs to mind, although I wasn’t counting when my 2002 9-3 did this. I understand the 9-5 does similar.

The glib answer is to get a Tech 2 on it but you knew that anyway.......

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
With the car running, move your seat down to the lowest height, move it forward and backwards, move the tilt (not the seatback, the actual bum part).
See if the light goes out here and there. On my '05 Aero, if I raise the seat to almost the highest position, the airbag light comes on. As soon as I lower the seat, no lights.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Nocturne I’m sure that’s a bad connection specific to your car!
Everything is tight, connected, nothing loose per se. Just cable stretch I guess. Still worth the suggestion I think.
But, as with my regular luck, probably just my car lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried it anyway. The airbag light still comes on with one warning beep but no longer beeps when I turn the steering wheel which was a major problem. The clockspring change seems to have taken care of that. No CELs but there were none before either.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Did you read codes with TECH2 or generic OBD reader?
If OBD reader, it will not read airbag codes at all.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Theres a few code readers out these days that can check every module in the car and pull/ clear codes. I have an Innova 5610 (pos but awesome for fords and chryslers) that lets me check every module including the audio system, ACC, SRS, ABS etc.. it even found which parking sensor is shorting to ground.

There is one sold on amazon that is SAAB and Volvo specific and I've heard it works great. You can't program anything with it, but as a scanner it works wonders.. or so I've heard. A Tech2 is the best option obviously but if money is tight and you plan on keeping the car for awhile its worth considering imo.
Theres the icarsoft i906 version 1 and then this version 2

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Not a single Amazon review for that product is from anyone who's used it on a Saab. One person says that it's a must have for anyone with a Volvo or a Saab, and then says that it worked great on his V90, or some model like that. No mention of using it on a Saab. I'd be shocked if this thing worked for resetting the airbag light or anything beyond basic OBDII functions, but it would sure be great if it did. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the iCarsoft was a piece of crap but at least they took it back with a full refund. Most of the functions were for Volvos. Not recommended for Saabs. So I just had my airbag replaced because of the recall on my '06. Thought that might take care of the airbag light but it's still there along with the beeps while turning. The GM dealer didn't have Saab software in their Tech II so still couldn't diagnose the cause. Still sounds like a clockspring issue even though I had replaced it. Does anyone know if the steering angle needs to be re-set with a Tech II after clockspring replacement?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dang, I'm sorry for suggesting it. They way they touted it being great for Volvo AND SAAB I bought into the hype.
At least you got your money back.
Should have figured too because Volvo and SAAB use two completely and utterly different engine managment systems. I just assumed that they had one tool specific for Saab and 1 tool specific for Volvo, not one tool for both which is kind of absurd really.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts