SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9 3 2.0t (4 Door Sedan)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I lurked the forum for a while, and now that we got my son his 1st car (it's a 2007 9 3 2.0t 4 Dr) I actually have an issue that I hope there is material on. I looked for a bit but couldn't find my problem so I'm hoping the big Saab brains can help.

Issue
The airbag light is on.

Related info
Light does not come on until you sit in the driver seat. That leads me to believe that seat pressure sensor is working. The passenger seat also registers a butt in it because it lights up the dash light that says someone is in it. We notice that if you don't click in the seatbelts before you start the engine, then while you're in drive you get the incessant seat belt dinging noise. This is true for both passenger and driver seat belts. Basically, if you click the belt after you start, those dings happen. If you have clicked them in before you start, then no dinging, but the airbag light is on (it's on regardless of if you have fastened your seat belt or not).

My first thought was to replace the seat belt sockets, but since they both can trigger the dinging I'm thinking now that it might be something else. I'm sure we're not the first to have this issue, so if there are threads that already reference this, I'd love to get a link, or even better, if you know the solve that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance - looking forward to being part of the community!

The MadBaldMan

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
seatbelt warning is normal, there are three options that the car can be programmed with for how to receive the seat belt warning and what u r facing is one of them.
So ur airbag issue is separate, and the only way to tell is by getting it scanned for codes, no shorcuts.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Hi and welcome to SC.
Driver seat has no occupancy sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, Copy on the dinging.

I'll double check the driver seat sitting. Seemed like the airbag light was off until I sat down in it then it came on (which lead me to think it had a sensor). I'll more thoroughly check it tonight. I've got a Launch CRP129X code reader. Hopefully that will give me more info on the SRS system

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly my Launch CRP129X won't read airbag codes. Guess I'll need to find someone with a tech 2. Will a Tech 2 Win work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will have to go by a shop to get a scan. But, in the meantime, I did some looking and picture taking. The first pic is the driver's side, with that thick yellow wire going to what I'm assuming is the seat position sensor on the right rail of the seat between the seat and console.

Next is the same harness on the passenger side, but it appears to not have the split off to a position sensor.

The passenger side does not have a position sensor where I expected to see one, although at one time it looks like there was space for it

There should be one there, right?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alrighty then! So I've been going over everything and I can't seem to figure out where the sensor cable (if you imagine there was actually a sensor there) goes to. It doesn't seem to plug into the mounted black box under the seat (for the passenger side) that everything else goes to. I even went by a junkyard today to see if I could see one in tact (and I actually found an 07 9-3!), but the position sensors and any cabling were already removed.

Does anyone have a pic or diagram of where the sensor actually connects to and where the wire runs to? That would be really helpful to understand how to get this resolved. Thanks again for reading and helping.(y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any thoughts? I'd hate to go get a scan for $100 just to tell me that we're missing a seat position sensor - because I know there isn't one there. I'd just love to know on a manual seat where that cable comes from. Our is AWOL lol I can get a sensor for it for like $88 but without a cable or knowing where it goes I'm still hosed. Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hmm. Which cable are you referring to? Sorry, got lost above somewhere along the way. I don't know specifically the vehicle configuration, but if there is a passenger seat position sensor, it should be where you indicated in the last picture. The WIS seems to indicate that there should be both a driver and passenger seat position sensor, but sometimes these get deleted during development if they aren't needed. (the seat position sensor position helps determine the strength of the airbag deployment for a frontal collision)
The cable for the passenger seat position sensor comes out of the 40-way connector pictured under the passenger seat.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
What's going on at the top left of that picture? Looks like a bare wire.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a ton for the replies!

@indy500 I'm trying to determine where the passenger seat position sensor is wired to - I know that initial post was a bit novel-ish lol. It's a 2007 9-3 4 Dr, and everything I've seen tells me that there should be a seat position sensor for the passenger, but I just can't find a wire (or the sensor :ROFLMAO:). I also thought that it should come out of the 40-way box, but I see no wire. I may have to get under there with a flashlight and a magnifying glass to see if I see any cut wires. I'm starting to think it may have been deleted by the previous owner or something.

As @Diggs noted, there is that bare wire running to the seatbelt latch between the seat and center console, but the vehicle does recognize latching the seatbelt so I'm just planning to cover up the bare wires. I'll definitely look closer at it to make sure there hasn't been a wiring 'rigging' that has both the position sensor wire and the seat belt latch wire wired into the belt latch. I'll post a couple pics tomorrow if it looks suspect.

The REALLY odd thing is that we saw 3 cars at a local junkyard recently. One of them was actually a 2007 9-3 just like ours and it has the exact same configuration of wires as ours does. No wire, no sensor for the passenger seat on any of them. The 40-way box looked exactly the same as mine does. It makes my head hurt lol.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Set position sensor is only with electric seat. Manual seat do not have position sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boom! That's what I needed to hear! So, definitely need to get by a shop and get it scanned. The airbag light has to be something else then. Thanks so much everyone - bigtime help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts